My 2017 iowa early muzzle loader hunt

I hunt with my CVA a lot and don’t have that problem anymore. However, before I upgraded from a Knight MK85 I can remember learning that lesson the hard way! 3 #11 caps, a few choice words, and a new pair of underwear makes it a memorable moment that one doesn’t really forget.

I hunt with my CVA a lot and don’t have that problem anymore. However, before I upgraded from a Knight MK85 I can remember learning that lesson the hard way! 3 #11 caps, a few choice words, and a new pair of underwear makes it a memorable moment that one doesn’t really forget.

I converted to the 209 primer but powder soaks moister like a sponge. Shooting a knight wolverine.

I am anal when it comes to powder. Loose one deer due to bad powder and you will switch a lot. I remember 1 time watching the bullet basically fall out of the barrel and nose dive at about 10'. That time I didn't even hunt in the rain. The problem I made was bringing the gun into the house. I wont bring a loaded muzzy in and out of the house, they don't like rapid temp changes.

This is the first time in 7 or 8 years that I wont be hunting early muzzy. Youth football just eats up these weekends so I will give late a shot.

Good luck hope the weather is good the rest of the week. It is beautiful out here in central Iowa today.

Well having a cold for about 5 days now it finally got the best of me this morning. I got up to hunt and had coffee with the wife when she was getting ready for work and decided its not going to happen. was on the couch wrapped up most of the morning.

Now im back at it. Got up and played with the dogs a bit and said its go time. Jumped in the truck and headed out. This is my view for the evening.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171016-164555.jpg
    Screenshot_20171016-164555.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 263
A few deer got a pass tonight. About an hour left in the hunt I hear something coming in fast. As I turn to look a doe flies past me at full speed. no shot opportunity there. It quiets down for a bit. With about 10 minutes left of shooting light 2 small does come walking out at about 15 yards. I put 1 in my scope just for fun. To small for me. They got to walk. Tomorrow morning the hunt continues.

Some bad luck this morning. After my wet powder incident I told both my boys to fire their guns and put fresh powder in. Do you think they listened to dad? NOPE after about the first 45 minutes of light I hear my boy fire. I go over and talk to him and he explained the exact thing that happened to me. After looking for blood just to make sure it looks like a clean miss. Thats ok we still have 5 days.

I had some errands to run and when I got that done I stopped by some public land and took a walk. Found some really nice fresh scrapes and some heavily used trails. Was very thick so I did some still hunting. Sit for 15 minutes then move sit, move and so on.had a deer walk by at about 50 yards but to thick to see anything. Off to another piece of public that I know is a little more open. Another truck in the parking area so I pull out. Its a small piece so I dont want to screw up another guys hunt. Back home for some lunch and a few minutes of shut eye then back at it.

Had to do a creek crossing. Good thing I found this pile of rocks. Kept my feet dry today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171017-114752.jpg
    Screenshot_20171017-114752.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 228
Made it to the stand this afternoon with a strong south wind. Im sitting on the west property line with a small river about 150 yards to the north. About an hour in I see 3 does running from the north out in front of me. I guess they got my wind.

With about half hour light left I see 2 small does in the high grass in front me. They got a pass. A few minutes later I see a spiker following the does. He gave me a great shot oppurtunity but he was also small. Another pass. No shooters but still an exciting afternoon.

Anyone that has followed my hunts the last couple years knows ive been having a string of bad luck. I just cannot shake it. In the stand yesterday morning and its perfect. About 45 minutes into my hunt a big doe comes through the tall weeds at 40 yards broadside. I get her lined up and fire. I see nothing through the smoke but dont hear her take off. I think she dropped in her tracks. I give her a few minutes and reload my gun. I walk over to take a look and nothing, not even blood. I get back in my stand to double check where she was and go back to look again. I do manage to find some white belly hair I shaved off. I continue to look for blood but find nothing. I am now feeling disgusted with myself how can anyone miss at 40 yards.

Attachments

• 20171018_073615.jpg
    20171018_073615.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 202
After looking for blood to make dam sure she wasn't wounded I hear my boy fire a shot about a half mile to the west. I keep looking for blood until I get a txt that sais deer down. After im sure my deer is fine and will live another day I head over to my son. He made a clean kill at about 70 yards on a small doe. We have meat in the freezer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171019-145639.jpg
    Screenshot_20171019-145639.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 201
You and I have the same luck! But as they say, good things come to those you wait. I shaved the belly hair off of a stud 5x5 bull two years ago in my favorite drainage, felt sick as it was the first shot I had all season. Two days later, same drainage I double lunged a 6x6. Due to my luck, I'm actually nervous about cashing in on my Iowa points thinking that I'll wait for a year I'm actually having good luck! Looking forward to seeing what you put on the ground, may good fortune head your way! Congrats to your son!

We get his deer home and he goes to work cutting it up. I get my gun out and put a round through at 50 yards. WAY OFF im about 14 inches low and right. Like I said before Ive been having bad luck with this gun for awhile now. I have noticed when I adjust the scope to zoom it has a catch in the dial. I decided to put that gun back in the cabinet and now using my sons gun. I help him finish cutting his deer and get it put in the freezer. Spent the rest of the day doing some chores around the house.

Made it back out this morning. Cold crisp morning with no wind. Saw alot of ducks and geese but no deer. Forgot my sandwiches at home so my mind was actually on food more than the hunt hahaha. Came in midday for some chow and a cat nap. Took the dogs out to play in the yard for awhile now im gearing up to head out. On a side note I will be putting a different scope on that gun.

My view for the evening. My youngest usually bow hunts this stand. This is the first time ive ever sat here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171019-161021.jpg
    Screenshot_20171019-161021.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 192
The squirrels were my entertainment for the evening. Dad saw 3 does that he gave a pass. Still have 3 days to go. Lets see what the morning brings.

Im still huntin. Cannot seem to shake this cold virus. Will give some updates starting with friday morning a little later. Im not going to lie about it ,I feel like crap right now. I am sitting on a field edge right now so lets see how this goes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171021-163608.jpg
    Screenshot_20171021-163608.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 153
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back