My 2017 iowa early muzzle loader hunt

Lets back up to friday morning. Not alot to talk about in terms of deer. Had a few yotes running around behind me and a big fat raccoon sniffing around at the bass of my tree for a little bit.
My son Devon is a senior and runs cross country. Didnt make it out friday evening do to parents night for the runners. Bitter sweet moment, my last parents night for sporting events. Those boys grew up fast.

Up early on saturday morning to give it a go. Take the dogs outside for a few minutes so they can do their morning duties and the sky opens up. I decided to stay dry and drink hot coffee for the morning.

Very windy saturday afternoon. was cut short with alot of lightning. Ive seen deer feeding in this picked corn an hour before dark in the past. Im in plenty early and patiently waiting. I can hear the thunder getting closer but my view is blocked to the west. About the time im expecting deer the lighting shows up CLOSE. I beet feet it to the truck and drive around to the other side of the property to get my older boy. Hes not at the road yet and lighting is hitting the ground all around us. That was a nervous father moment. Its a wrap for saturday.

The storms passed at about 5 sunday morning. Went out with my older boy for a few hours. I had deer right behind while it was still dark. As light settled in it was very calm and quiet. I could see a buck rubbing a tree but to thick to get a look at him. That was my excitement for the morning. The boy didnt see anything moving. I think he was half asleep do to a late night out on the town. I remember those days.

Sunday evening was the last for the season. I watched another coon sniffing around my tree for a bit. Kind of fun to watch the other wildlife sometimes. Watching a grass field patiently waiting as the light slipped away. With 3 minutes left of legal light I slipped out of my stand to look down a fenceline that was blocked from my view. Look at my watch with 2 minutes left and right in front of me is a big fat doe. All I could do is stand there with a smile on my face do to a house a few hundred yards right behind her.

I couldnt help but chuckle to myself the way it came down to the last 2 minutes and I ended up just staring at her with nothing I could do but watch her walk in the tree line. I didnt fill my tag but had a ton of fun for the season. Time to get the bow out and keep after em.

I about hit a buck with my truck around 9:30 this morning running wild with his tongue draggin. This colder weather should help huntin!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back