MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My 2017 iowa early muzzle loader hunt

duckhunt

Just got home from work and have the next 9 days off. Tomorrow morning is the season opener. Going to hunt around home with dad and the kids the first weekend then possibly heading to northeast Iowa for the week. Calling for rain tomorrow so not off to a great start. Time to double check the gear.

Im I the only one with 19 and17 year old boys and still have to make sure they have their gear ready? I think they would be lost without old dad looking out for em.

Sitting in the dark patiently waiting. The owls and coyotes are very vocal this morning. Looks like we have a few good hours before the rain hits.

Nasty out this morning! Stay safe and good hunting. I always had good luck during the early muzzleloader season rattling right before shooting light if it was a cold morning in the 30s.

Im I the only one with 19 and17 year old boys and still have to make sure they have their gear ready? I think they would be lost without old dad looking out for em.

As long as you supply the work, they'll take advantage of it. They still have a lifetime ahead and may benefit from you allowing them to forget some things and have to deal with the consequences themselves. May be the toughest part of parenting - letting them learn from their own mistakes.

As long as you supply the work, they'll take advantage of it. They still have a lifetime ahead and may benefit from you allowing them to forget some things and have to deal with the consequences themselves. May be the toughest part of parenting - letting them learn from their own mistakes.

I have let them forget things in the past. I just make sure they have the basics.

Made it to the stand with about 2 hours of hunting light. No action for the first hour and the I stand to stretch my legs a little and I hear the infamous blow. BUSTED I look and a doe was just coming out of the tree line at the same time I stood up. My tag is either sex so I would have no problem putting a big fat doe in the freezer. That was it for the sit. After dark I had about a half mile walk across a field and jumped a couple half way back to the truck.

Storms are clearing out of the area. Looks like clear skies and night time temps around 43. I think its going to be a great morning. Sons car is broke down so off early to grab him in the morning.

Mama made chilli for supper. Great way to end the wet day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171014-213442.jpg
    Screenshot_20171014-213442.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 316
Rained most of the day yesterday. Weather report this morning is cloudy, damp, temp 43, wth wind gusts up to 25. A hot cup of coffe would be good right now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171015-072209.jpg
    Screenshot_20171015-072209.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 305
A bit of bad luck tonight. First off my older boy passed on a small doe. My night was a little different. I made a rookie mistake. Sitting in the rain yesterday I should have known to shoot my gun because everyone knows water and black powder dont mix.

I know a spot where deer feed out into a field right before dark. With about an hour left here they come. 1 average buck and 3 good does feeding about 70 yards across the property line. I watch em for awhile and with about 15 minutes left here comes 1 doe on my side like I was pulling her on a string. She crosses the property line and I let her keep coming to make dam sure im legal. Ok now I get her in the cross hairs and pull the trigger. The primer goes off but not the powder. She trots off a few yards and turns broadside again and looks at me. I get another primer on and line up the shot again. Pull the trigger with the same results. Just as I pull the gun off my shoulder the powder decides to go off.

Needless to say I had a few choice words to say to myself. Ive been hunting with black powder for well over 20 years and know exactly what I did wrong. Well atleast she is not wounded and I still have 7 days to go. Lets see what the morning brings.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back