PEAX Equipment

What rifle am I trying to buy?

You might want to check out E.R. Shaws line of rifles.
www.ershaw.com

I've handled them, but not shot one yet. Really nice build quality!

My rebarrelled Mauser in 284 Win with E.R. Shaw 24" 1.5 contour put 5, 162gr. ELDX in a 0.73" group durring break in.
I'm a definite fan of thiers!

Are you sure of the Weatherby barrel being 28 inches long. The longest barrel I am familiar with in a Weatherby is 26. Its possible that a brake is installed which could add the additional 2 inches. As an aside, I've never heard of a shotgun with a 26-28 inch barrel being unwieldy. FWIW. GJ

Are you sure of the Weatherby barrel being 28 inches long. The longest barrel I am familiar with in a Weatherby is 26. Its possible that a brake is installed which could add the additional 2 inches. As an aside, I've never heard of a shotgun with a 26-28 inch barrel being unwieldy. FWIW. GJ

I called and Weatherby confirmed that its a 26" tube with 2" added for the accubrake. Good point on the shotguns. I carry a 26" rifle now and I don't think I would want to go any longer but since I wont likely hunt with the accubrake on anyway I think it would be okay.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, lots of different opinions between forums and I think every reply has made me think so I really appreciate it.

Bergara Premier Stalker in .280AI

After really looking into these and the price I wish I would have gone that route instead of my Legendary Arms Professional in Creedmoor. Those Bergara’s seem to be really nice and consistent tack drivers.

One could buy a Tikka Superlight; add an aftermarket stock (McMillan or Manners), and have a gunsmith install a muzzlebreak, and probably still be under budget.

This is what I would do. Use your extra savings on ammo or reloading supplies.

Last edited:
If it were me I would get a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS or a Montana Rifle Company X2.

Calibers: I would get a .280 Ackley Improved (Available in the Montana Rifle Company product), 30-06, or 300 WSM. I would skip the Muzzle break as none of these will beat you up that badly and the muzzle blast is horrible on a rifle with a break.

Those Seekins rifles look good. Except for the extended mag box and that spiral fluting. Neither is needed on a hunting rifle. I just read a review, and the rifle being tested shot three different factory loads into .6 or so. Look into the Bergara. Some bad press out there. mtmuley

Vote for 30-06 here. Hard to go wrong with any of the 30 cal options, but there is a reason that the -06 has the reputation it does. The Barrett fieldcraft really has my attention. I shoot a Forbes Rifle 24b. They are out of business now, but to my knowledge Barrett is using the design for the Fieldcraft. Mine is crazy accurate and light weight. Would easily meet your weight requirement. View attachment 75446

I called and Weatherby confirmed that its a 26" tube with 2" added for the accubrake. Good point on the shotguns. I carry a 26" rifle now and I don't think I would want to go any longer but since I wont likely hunt with the accubrake on anyway I think it would be okay.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, lots of different opinions between forums and I think every reply has made me think so I really appreciate it.

I used my Weatherby Ultralight in 7mm Wby to shoot an elk 10d ago. It has an Accubrake on it, which the previous owner had installed.
There is nothing like being able to watch your hit on an elk at 300 yards because you don't get much muzzle rise from the recoil. I know that this site seems to hate muzzle brakes, but they do have their benefits.
And yes, I wear electronic hearing protection in the field.

Dad then shot his elk while sitting next to me, and I could watch his shots hit while he didn't see them - due to recoil. And, I can tell you that the 300 Wby has more recoil than the 7mm since I have one of those as well.

FYI, the differences in weight between a fluted and a straight barrel are a couple of ounces at best. You'll never notice it in the field.

Handle rifles and see what you like. Some rifles just have a feel and fit that appeal to a particular person.

I posed this question to the rokslide forum as well but I'm interested to see what the hunt-talk crew thinks........

I'm looking for a new rifle but am struggling to find the perfect one. I can list out my criteria and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions:

-Budget: sub $2200 for the rifle. I have a Leopold VX5 i will top it with.
-Purpose: Elk, I'm leaning real hard toward a .30 caliber option. (I have a .257bee for smaller game so no worries there)
-I like a fluted barrel
-Would like a removable muzzle brake.
-Looking to keep it lightweight, but not too lightweight. I want it to be 8lbs or less scoped.

I really like the Weatherby outfitter but its toward the top of my budget and the bigger issue is the 300WBY only comes in a 28" barrel which I feel like is too long for hunting. Thats the only .30 caliber option in that gun. Im also considering the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300WM which has a 24" tube.

What other rifles fit my bill? Thank you in advance for the help. I should also add that I’m a hand loader so there is that but I also want to be able to afford shooting the thing.

The ultra light you mentioned (good looking rifle) in 300 Win Mag...has a 24" #2 fluted as mentioned..I'd leave it unbraked but that's just me...street price should be just under your budget, maybe a bit over with brake. Would also consider the 7 Rem Mag.
http://www.weatherby.com/mark-vr-ultra-lightweight.html

After window shopping a bunch of rifles I ended up buying a Nosler M48 in 300WM. It doesn't check all of my box's but I got a smoking deal on it. I figure if I add every option I want it will still be under the budget and this way I will have the opportunity to shoot it without a muzzle brake and decide if I want one or not. The only short term plan is to put it in a McMillan or manners stock and the rest can come as I go. Thank you guys for all the advice and ideas.

You did well...fine rifle and caliber. Let us know how you trim it out.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back