Yeti GOBOX Collection

What rifle am I trying to buy?

Wyoelk

I posed this question to the rokslide forum as well but I'm interested to see what the hunt-talk crew thinks........

I'm looking for a new rifle but am struggling to find the perfect one. I can list out my criteria and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions:

-Budget: sub $2200 for the rifle. I have a Leopold VX5 i will top it with.
-Purpose: Elk, I'm leaning real hard toward a .30 caliber option. (I have a .257bee for smaller game so no worries there)
-I like a fluted barrel
-Would like a removable muzzle brake.
-Looking to keep it lightweight, but not too lightweight. I want it to be 8lbs or less scoped.

I really like the Weatherby outfitter but its toward the top of my budget and the bigger issue is the 300WBY only comes in a 28" barrel which I feel like is too long for hunting. Thats the only .30 caliber option in that gun. Im also considering the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300WM which has a 24" tube.

What other rifles fit my bill? Thank you in advance for the help. I should also add that I’m a hand loader so there is that but I also want to be able to afford shooting the thing.

I've been looking hard at Montana Rifle Co's X2 in 30 Nosler. Have you considered that cartridge? Pretty impressive ballistics/powder efficiency ratio. It'd be great if you're a handloader.

For that price, I'd consider building a semi custom, especially if you have a rifle already that you could use the action from. Pick your favorite action, added a fluted barrel with muzzle break and high quality stock could be done for that budget or close.

One could buy a Tikka Superlight; add an aftermarket stock (McMillan or Manners), and have a gunsmith install a muzzlebreak, and probably still be under budget.

A Kimber Mountain Ascent would be close, just doesn't have the fluting, but is LIGHT.

Wyo, you didn't buy that Redhawk rifle? For 2200 bucks you could go semi-custom on your own too. mtmuley

Nosler in 30 Nosler. I have one. I have a model 48 custom but you can get a Nosler Factory rifle in many finishes and barrel option for around that price.

Shoots lights out,and hits like a freight train. Don't by the hype its just another 30cal. Its not.

Wyo, you didn't buy that Redhawk rifle? For 2200 bucks you could go semi-custom on your own too. mtmuley

Still waiting on pictures and info on that rifle. Not sure if he went hunting or what but haven't seen anything back yet....... I'm interested in custom but I've never dabbled into it so its kind of foreign ground to me. I pretty much know what parts I want. Does anyone sell barreled actions only that you know of?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, its kind of funny how forums get a little bit brand loyal. I think the only rifle that's been suggested by both forums is the Nosler (and the custom route).

Wyo

Easy to build exactly what you want. Buy a m700 long action or rifle in a magnum caliber. Purchase a barrel blank in 30cal of your choice and contour. Determine what stock you like and order that. Contact LRI and supply them the parts. You will have a barreled action in a few weeks.

Wyo

Easy to build exactly what you want. Buy a m700 long action or rifle in a magnum caliber. Purchase a barrel blank in 30cal of your choice and contour. Determine what stock you like and order that. Contact LRI and supply them the parts. You will have a barreled action in a few weeks.

This is what I would do if that Redhawk doesn"t pan out. That rifle is put together with good stuff. mtmuley

Yeah for $2200 budget I would build my own more than likely. The only downside of custom and semi-custom rifles in my experience is that they don't much of any resale value. While many factory guns appreciate in value, you will never get back anywhere near what you put into a custom gun like that.

Doesn't howa sell barreled actions? May not be fluted though. I'd buy a 700 sps and go from there in a semi custom. Although a winchester extreme weather would came dang close to filling the bill for way less money.

Sako 85 use the rest of your money to get it fluted if you want it done. Not really sure why you would want a fluted barrel on a hunting rifle. My tikka is 7.5 pounds scoped.

You should check out the Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon. There's a few reviews of it on here. I've hunted it for 2 years, llove it. And it fits all your criteria.

Kimber Mountain Accent 300 Winchester Mag. 6 lbs. & 7 ounces with a muzzle brake. I've seen them for sale under $2000.00. The new ones have a MOA claim. There are some here that don't care for them and some that do. It's another option for you.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back