Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Inexpensive Quality Camo (Arizona)

WalkingBird

Hey All,
So I've got a question for y'all. For any of y'all that do, or have had hunted in the great deserts of Arizona, what clothing do you prefer to wear while you're out?

I've recently moved here from NY and I don't think that what I've been wearing there will work as well out here, although some of the heavier pieces may work in the northern part of the state ( I live in Phoenix and am planning on trying for Archery deer in January).

I've been looking at the Microtex (sp?) clothing from Cabela's in both the Outfitter Camo and the O2 pattern. Does anyone have any experience with this? is it worth buying?

I've always been of the Buy Once Cry Once mentality, but with the way my wallet creaks lately I'd better opt for the more inexpensive options, I just do not want to sacrifice too much in the way of quality just to save a buck.

Thanks in advance folks!

I don't have experience in your neck of the desert, but I do with the Microtex clothing. I'm a fan. I wear the pants and button down shirt during the entire season, layering as necessary due to weather. My pronghorn hunt last weekend saw temps around 60-65 degrees and I was comfortable w/ skivvies & just the pants & shirt. I'm hard on clothes, and these have held up well over the last couple of seasons and I'm quite happy with them. I've got the outfitter camo and the O2. It's really personal preference IMO as I'm not an archery hunter. If they made their microtex clothes in solid colors, I'd more than likely buy those as well.

Microtex should work fine but less expensive items will work as well. I bought two pair of pants from Sportsman's Warehouse several years ago that I love, they are basically thin, tight weave fleece like material. they are quiet, breath well, don't hold much water and dry quickly. My usual January archery outfit for low to mid elevation (1200-4000ft.) consists of the pants, a cotton long sleeve camouflage shirt (may switch to synthetic for rain), a thin to thick fleece jacket (depending on temps). I keep a beanie, gloves, packable vest and rain jacket in my pack to wear if it gets cold while glassing. I like the Menzella fleece archer's gloves.

I tried the microtex shirt but found after a day of hard excursion it stunk like crazy. It's now relegated to day hunts from home. Every quiet and quite warm though.

Thanks guys for all the help

I picked up a set of the Microtex clothes at Cabelas this weekend (it's dangerous here in PHX, Cabela's, Bass Pro and Sportsman's are all within a 1/2hr of my house...BP is 5 minutes). I was impressed with the pants as they felt very comfortable and I liked how the cargo pockets are above the knees, rather than right at your joint. I chose the O2 camo, I'm hoping it isn't too dark for desert hunting, but I figured (hoped) that it would be a good camo for hunting the desert as well as up in the mountains if I do get lucky enough to draw an Elk tag next year.

I'll be keeping on the lookout for more gear in the near future, mostly things like a backpacking stove to brew a hot cup of coffee on the mountain, and maybe the odd dehydrated meal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back