Hoosiers, a heads up!! NO rifles on public land

1_pointer

From an email I received yesterday from DNR:

Important corrections to Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide

Indiana deer and waterfowl hunters need to be aware of two important changes in the print version of the 2017-2018 Hunting & Trapping Guide.

Due to recent legislation passed this year by the Indiana General Assembly, hunters can no longer use rifles when hunting deer on public land. “Public land” includes both state and federal property. Before the change, the use of rifles on public land had been legal.

It remains legal to use a muzzleloader, shotgun or handgun when hunting deer on public land in accordance with deer hunting regulations.

I was confused by this release, I thought that was the case since the legalized rifles. Must have not been written clearly.

Regardless, I'm glad to see it!

The difference is that the way the regs were written for this year was imprecise and ended up prohibiting the use of PCRs on public land as well as HPRs. I believe this wasn't intended but someone did a crappy job of writing the regs.
I was confused by this release, I thought that was the case since the legalized rifles. Must have not been written clearly.

Regardless, I'm glad to see it!

The difference is that the way the regs were written for this year was imprecise and ended up prohibiting the use of PCRs on public land as well as HPRs. I believe this wasn't intended but someone did a crappy job of writing the regs.

Makes sense! Answers my question

Also shows why this stuff should be done by the DNR and not the General Assembly IMO...

MM, there is pretty limited public land in IN (I am a Hoosier transplanted to CO) and during firearms season (1 week) it is a variable SEA of orange. Not uncommon to see folks in ridiculously close proximity to each other. As such, once they approved HPRs recently they decided to keep them away.

1- Ain't THAT the truth!!
Glad to see weapon restrictions on Public land? I am a long ways West of Indiana, but i don't get it.

I'm from Indiana and I'm glad that you can't use rifles on public land. A shotgun is more than enough for distance. Most of the public land is thick enough that if you can see the deer you can shoot it with a shotgun anyways. There's definitely a sea of orange opening weekend and a lot of people are trigger happy. It's scary enough without the hpr.

It's more because of the flat terrain than the quantity/quality of hunters, isn't it? Lots of "flatter" states have these types of restrictions. I used to hunt some counties in eastern North Carolina that required shooting from an elevated stand (I believe >8 feet typically) when using a HPR.

The complaint, for me, isn't that we can't use the "new" rifle chamberings on public land, but that folks can't use the rifle chamberings (mostly pistol rounds or the like) that have been legal everywhere for years. It was a sloppily written law and now neither of my sons can hunt on public land with the same rifle (357 Mag single shot) that has been legal anywhere in the state. SO, for this part of the fiasco I blame the legislature. However, the DNR is not without blame as they proposed this same change through their rules making process the year before last and caved to some very loud, minority in number, squeaky wheels (IMO). Folks did not like that, so got the legislature involved and we have the current mess.

The complaint, for me, isn't that we can't use the "new" rifle chamberings on public land, but that folks can't use the rifle chamberings (mostly pistol rounds or the like) that have been legal everywhere for years. It was a sloppily written law and now neither of my sons can hunt on public land with the same rifle (357 Mag single shot) that has been legal anywhere in the state. SO, for this part of the fiasco I blame the legislature. However, the DNR is not without blame as they proposed this same change through their rules making process the year before last and caved to some very loud, minority in number, squeaky wheels (IMO). Folks did not like that, so got the legislature involved and we have the current mess.

Exactly. There is plenty of blame to go around on this. What a mess. Does this happen anywhere except Indiana?

Looks like the IN DNR made up for their oversight! Not as timely as it should have been, but the right move IMO.
DNR emergency rule for 2017 deer hunting season

An emergency rule signed today by the DNR, filed with the Natural Resources Commission and the Legislative Services Agency, states the following:

“Rifle cartridges that were allowed in previous years on public land for deer hunting are allowed on public land again this year during the deer firearms season, the reduction zone season (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), special hunts on other public lands such as State Parks and National Wildlife Refuges, and special antlerless season.

This means that the rifle cartridge must fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches if used on public land. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.”

For more information on rifle requirements for deer hunting on private land, visit [wildlife.IN.gov/7389.htm]wildlife.IN.gov/7389.htm and click on “Equipment.”

To view all DNR news releases, please see [dnr.IN.gov]dnr.IN.gov.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back