Montana interfered with this 12 months ago!

devon deer

It's almost 12 months to the day when i came across this Fallow Buck (pretty sure its the same one) on his rutting stand, last year it was grunting like crazy, this year it is way to warm, almost 70f today, ridiculously warm, so the rut has not really kicked off, but he was back, with his does, and seeing off a younger buck.
Last year i had my cross hairs on him, but i didn't have a safe shot, i was gutted, as i knew i was flying out to Montana the next day (well not too upset really, it's Montana after all!) so i had to watch as he disappeared into the woods.
Today was different, although it was pretty foggy and light drizzle i made him out at first light, but he just wouldn't stand still, i barked at him, he would stop, then walk, stop then walk, damn this was tricky, another 50 yards and it would be another frustrating repeat of last year, but i barked again and didn't hesitate, dropped him on the spot.
IMG_20171013_072216388.jpg

I have never eaten heart, i am going to google it now, i understand after a bit of preparation it tastes like steak?

IMG_20171013_111956079.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great looking deer! I tried heart for the first time this year as well, turned out pretty tasty. I probably went a little far on the trimming, but it worked. I cut the heart open along each chamber after soaking it in brine all night, then trimmed all the connective tissue in each chamber. Sliced it, lightly seasoned and cooked to medium rare. Enjoy, let us know how you like it!

Good job on getting some payback from last year! So, are you planning on keeping the REST of the hearts you get? I'll bet it was tasty! They are the first thing I cook up from my deer.

Congratulations, that's a great fallow and I really like the chocolate colored hide. Is that coloration the most common there or are the lots of variation?

Thanks chaps.

The heart was tender, a surprise result for me, i thought it would be really tough, but i can't convince my hunting friends in the UK!

The colour of the Fallow vary, where i hunt they are mainly the above colour, or even black, but we have a few what they call 'common' fallow, they are very, very pretty.

Got the head finished today.

IMG_20171020_162913976.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Richard,
That is a beautiful Fallow Buck. Is he one of your larger bucks as he looks to be quite impressive. The euro mount came out very nice. Was he located near any of the fields we were in this summer?

Vanish i think that can be the issue, the thought of eating the heart, but get over that and its a really nice cut of meat.

Sawtooth, they get much bigger, but not around where i hunt, i just don't think our area has the minerals in the ground, as you know the soil is pretty acidic as we are on the edge of what was volcanic activity millions of years ago, creating the national park, Dartmoor.
The buck was shot on the same farm where you shot your last Roe Buck, by the way, i still haven't seen that over friendly cat since the 30-06 barked at it!

Cheers

Richard

Beautiful animal! The euro mount is great and glad to hear the heart was good. Congrats on finding him this year and connecting.

Vanish i think that can be the issue, the thought of eating the heart, but get over that and its a really nice cut of meat.

Sawtooth, they get much bigger, but not around where i hunt, i just don't think our area has the minerals in the ground, as you know the soil is pretty acidic as we are on the edge of what was volcanic activity millions of years ago, creating the national park, Dartmoor.
The buck was shot on the same farm where you shot your last Roe Buck, by the way, i still haven't seen that over friendly cat since the 30-06 barked at it!

Cheers

Richard

Dartmoor?? Isn't that close to where the Hound was reputed to roam?

Yep that's the 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', can't say i have bumped into it though!
I'm impressed you knew that!

It gets pretty grim on Dartmoor, that's why they built a jail there in the early 1800's, originally built to house POW's, the french from the Napoleonic war.

Dartmoor is a great place to do training for an Elk hunt though!

Cheers

Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back