7mm Mag Elk load?

RiverRatt

I have a factory 7mm mag with a 1-10" twist. I'd like to use Hornady 162 ELD X bullets and was curious if anyone has any experience with this newer bullet. Does anyone have any load recommendations? I already have H4381 for powder but still need primers. Have brass as well nothing fancy just federal brass from the factory loads I shot I my rifle. Only been fired once. This will be a hunting load, no competing here. Still want better than moa but I'm not looking for the holy grail competition load. :)

I hesitate at making recommendations of loads as a load that is safe in my rifle may not be safe in yours (and vice versa). H4831 will work fine and I prefer Federal 215 primers in my 7mmMag. I suggest working up a load based on either Hornady's Manual or Hodgdon's.

EDIT: My preferred powder is Retumbo...I've been experimenting with MagPro but it just isn't holding it's end of the bargain with accuracy however it produces some fast rounds.

Last edited:
I use Fed 215 primers as well. Different powder, but there are a several ways to get the result

Thanks guys, yeah giving out load data is understandable a hesitation. I'm looking fire accuracy and dependable. I have other powders as well but the load data I was looking at had h4831 as one of the powders. It's been recommended in my 243 just thought it might be good in the mag as well. Thanks guys.

I just shot an antelope and a mule deer with the 162 gr ELD-x out of my 7mm Mag and it is definitely not an elk bullet, it just doesn't hold together well enough. I'll be running 150 gr Barnes TTSX for elk with my 7mm Mag later this fall. Other bullets like the 160 gr Accubond/Partition are very good controlled expansion options.

For 7mm Mag RL22 and H1000 are pretty standard go to powders.

I run a 140 Accubond with H4831SC. I use this load for antelope, deer, and elk. I know the 160 may be a bit more popular, but I like the flatter trajectory and lighter recoil of the 140. Regarding the charge, I would get the Lyman's load data book for the 7MM calibers and 270 (10 bucks on Amazon Prime). Use their starting load and work up from there. I can safely shoot the max charge they have listed, but I would not jump straight to that before you work up to it. My Loads Chrono at 3152, and have plenty of energy for elk out to 500. My accuracy is sub moa.

If you're looking at the RL line of powders, check out RL-23, which won't be affected by temperature swings like RL-22 has been known to.

As far as the bullet itself, I'm using it currently, and wasn't too impressed with a cow elk I shot with it earlier this year. It hit the shoulder blade, blew up two ribs, and stopped in the nearside lung. Shot was as she was laying down at 285yds.....If I get another shot at elk this year, I'm making sure to stay behind the shoulder.

I run a 140 Accubond with H4831SC. I use this load for antelope, deer, and elk. I know the 160 may be a bit more popular, but I like the flatter trajectory and lighter recoil of the 140. Regarding the charge, I would get the Lyman's load data book for the 7MM calibers and 270 (10 bucks on Amazon Prime). Use their starting load and work up from there. I can safely shoot the max charge they have listed, but I would not jump straight to that before you work up to it. My Loads Chrono at 3152, and have plenty of energy for elk out to 500. My accuracy is sub moa.

Trying not to derail the thread too much, but how significant is the difference in the recoil between the 140gr and 160gr? I have never shot 140gr rounds out of a 7mm so I'm curious.

Trying not to derail the thread too much, but how significant is the difference in the recoil between the 140gr and 160gr? I have never shot 140gr rounds out of a 7mm so I'm curious.

Enough that my wife can comfortably shoot it. I bought it for both of us to use. I shoot the Christensen Arms Mesa, which is a 7lb gun, with a muzzle break. So with that and the load combo it kicks like a kitten. Believe it or not, even without the muzzle break, it still kicks less than my tikka t3 in 270. The 160 was just a bit to much, so I would rather see her shoot something with confidence. Plus I know the 140 Accubond is a proven elk killer.

I haven't bought the Hornady ELD X yet but I appreciate the feed back. I'm not a Barnes fan, but maybe sombre day. Friend of mine swears by the Berger bullets and told me to try them. I might but Hornady is easy for me to get locally most everything else I'd have to order.

Again thanks for the feed back it helps a lot.

I have two 7mm RMs. One shoots Nosler brass, Fed 215 primers, and IMR 4350 with 150 grain NBTs. The other shoots Federal brass, Fed 215 primers, and IMR 4831 with 160 grain NABs. Both guns are consistently around 3/4" and on-game performance has been awesome. Killed a pronghorn last weekend with the NBTs.

I don't use monolithic bullets, but I have nothing against them at all. I'd give that particular bullet a try with IMR 4831 and go from there.

I know this was not the original question but my 700 BDL S/S in 7 MM Rem Mag shoots Hornady ( factory loaded ) 139 grain GMX bullets twice as tight (grouping) as the 160 grain TTSX Barnes ( factory loaded ammo )
I do not reload so I cannot speak to that part of the discussion.

10Dogs

I haven't used the 162 eld-x, but have used the 162 amax with H4831sc. Shot very good with the H4831sc with about 63.0 grains, start lower with yours and work up. Since they stopped making the amax, I now decided to go heavier and shoot the 175 eld-x with H1000. Took 2 does with it this summer, both shot in lungs and ran less than 50 yards.

All I ever used in my 7mm Mag was N-205, can't get it anymore. :-( I tried different bullet's in it. Sierra's were accurate but hit like a small bomb. Hornady shot well but Speer shot better and I seldom had luck getting a partition to shoot out of anything. The thing that hit me the hardest was the performance of the light weight bullet's at 7mm Mag velocity, they kill, no doubt about that but they were explosive as could be. The mid weight, 150gr bullet's just didn't excite me. I did try the 154 gr Hornady in it but accuracy just wasn't up there. BTW, for a lot of years now, Hornady is all I've used for hunting, really retain weight well For that 7mm Mag my bullet was the 160 gr Speer hot core. They and Hornady retained the same weight shot into newsprint, 85%. the Hornady core was loose in the jacket, the Speer wasn't. Went with the Speer because it was more accurate in that rifle. I think weight loss is a real concern. Lose the weight and your gonna lose penetration. If you think about it, likely most of your shot's at game are under 200 yds! The velocity even to their with the 7mm Mag is still a bit much for a 140gr bullet. Of course you can overcome that by going to a monolithic bullet and a partition bullet. Well that works but it also doubles the cost of your bullet's, I don't have a huge income! :)

In the half dozen or so 7 Rem mags I've been associated with, 150 grain bullets over H4831,160 grain bullets over 7828,175 grain over Retumbo. I won't post the charges,as across the board they all liked upper end charges. Which is subjective. You will have to determine what that is in your rifle. On another note. I've never seen a 7 Remmy mag that wouldn't shoot something exceptionally well. Some favor lighter bullets,some the heavies. Be sure to try a few of each.

Most of the 7mm Rem Mag i have seen have between 9-9.5:1 twist. 10:1 seems a little slow.

My Savage rifles like the ELDX loaded to just off of the lands. My 284 Win likes them seated further from the lands.

Make sure you check case length after every firing with the Rem Mag. Especially Federal casings. They like to stretch.

I'm using RL26 with the 162gr. ELDX and 150gr. Nosler ABLR.

H4831SC should serve you well. Federal 215 magnum primers. A 160 gr. Partition or Accubond would be tough to beat in front of those components.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back