Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eastern MT Pronghorn

I usually have a buck targeted long before the season starts but this year was different. The wife and I welcomed a daughter into the world less than two weeks prior to the opener and I found myself tied to a short leash to the house leading up to the season. I spent opening weekend with my dad and best friend and we ended up being lucky enough to get my friend on a good buck on some public land that only became public through funding from the LWCF. There is no doubt in my mind that he will cherish the hunt and be thankful for the events that allowed us to hunt that particular area.

Monday morning came and I was hiking up from the boat to gain elevation and hopefully find the buck I had seen over opening weekend that had his left horn going straight out instead of up. I seem to look for the character bucks first and foremost. After hiking around all morning I eventually found out that the last place I had seen the buck was less than a mile from a wall tent and the buck would have been in view from anyone near the camp. With hopes dwindling that the buck was still alive I turned my focus to a different area to stay away from any other hunters.

Late in the afternoon I was watching a group of 24 does coming down to water trying to figure out how it was possible there wasn't a single buck in the herd. In the FOV of the spotting scope I then watched a young buck come sprinting into view then followed by a buck that caught my attention. It didn't take me long to decide he was a buck worth pursuing. The herd came down and watered in a time period of about 5 minutes and were immediately headed back up for the hills.

We quickly regrouped and began trying to play catch up. We had last seen the herd cross over the ridge in a general northerly direction. Assuming they continued in the same general direction we decided to continue up the gumbo basin to the north before climbing the ridge for a better look. With the wind in our face we crested the ridge and saw the entire herd less than 200 yards away. I set up on a sandstone bench and waited for the buck to present a clear shot. After 10 minutes of laying down watching the tips of his horns travel back and forth in the fold of the ridge he finally began to chase the young buck around once again before stopping for a moment long enough to let me squeeze a bullet behind the front shoulder.

And back to the boat.
    Last edited by Schaaf; 10-12-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    "I'll put some whiskey into my whiskey"

Fantastic, Justin! Why no pics though!?!?!
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

Pics not coming through or a remark at the size of them? haha

I can't see any, but it could be my wonderfully locked down govenment computer censoring you.
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

Nice work Justin!
    A lesson was learned to not mix together silver bullets and a forum site.
    Fowl_Minded

Nice buck and congrats on the new addition to your family. Heading over to Region 7 and hoping to find one myself next week if I’m lucky, only hunted deer over there so far.

Good luck with the rest of the season while juggling a newborn!

Fin

My bad. Works in my phone.....

Great pics. Congrats!

Great stories, great photos, and congrats on the newborn.

Great buck

Cool looking buck. Congrats!

Sweet buck and pics
    DISCLAIMER: Many of my posts are made via phone, aurocorrect and tiny keyboards are my enemy....
    http://www.predatoroptics.com/
    http://theronoptics.com

Those are really good photos, congratulations on the buck and more importantly, on your new family member.
    Fear the beard....

Be honest with us- did you survivorman that last picture?

Awesome buck buddy! You definitely have a lot of good karma built up in that country.

You're a sexy biotch and the buck is nice too
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2016 (but I'm still damned sexy)

Blog Entries

Cool hunt - critters via boat on one of the greatest places anywhere......................

Awesome! Well done

nice buck!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
    Be honest with us- did you survivorman that last picture?

Awesome buck buddy! You definitely have a lot of good karma built up in that country.
    Turns out there was a long line of people willing to follow me around the hills to document my adventures

Congrats on the birth of your daughter and on the cool looking buck. Love that country

Nice buck, congrats!!
    I work so I can hunt

Nice lope and even cooler country to spend time. excellent....

23. Default

Fantastic! Great story and pics.

24. Default

I've never hunted antelope from a boat. Congrats on the buck and congrats on the new addition to the family.

Nice buck and will be some good eating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast