Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Need Advice on Food in the field

The bagel/ pb / honey / bacon is genius! I am going to try that. Do you prep the morning of or do you pre prep and freeze?

I make up the bagels, vacuum seal them, and throw them in the freezer a few at a time. I've never kept them for more than a week or two but I'm sure you could. Be sure to toast the bagel before hand.

Put several eggs in a blender with whatever seasonings, onions, chunks of butter, etc. Blend. Pour (not easy) into decent water bottle, or container. Heat up in lightweight cup/stove combo of your choice. Takes less time than water to boil, tasty, and has tons of protein. :hump: This with dried meat/hard salame, and some snacks keeps me just right.

We substituted english muffins for the bagels this season. Also used peppered bacon. I could get fat on those suckers!

My go to lunch is wheat tortillas with peanut butter and pre cooked bacon and honey. I still take snacks like summer sausage or pepperoni and crackers or the old go to poptarts. I also love SPAM singles.

my go to day food is a couple banana and pb burritos its just a banana and pb rolled up in a tortilla. I also pack a lot of trail mix.

Can of pork & beans, eaten cold.

I used to do that, hiking, fishing, hunting. Can't do it anymore though - and it'll ruin you for canned pork & beans (hot or cold). Kind of like that college tequila night.

Some type of cured meat, cheese and an apple is my standby when day hunting away from the rig.

Peanut butter and tortillas.

I also find that a cliff bar, and a handful of roasted almonds will keep me going for quite a while.

can of smoked herring. super high calorie. but take a ziplock to pack out the can.

We've been doing the vacuum packed, then frozen bagel/bacon/cheese/pb and sometimes honey for a few years. My wife calles them butthole sandwiches because that's what they look like. Two per day, and something dehydrated for dinner. Top Ramen works too, especially when one is on a budget.

I went on Hunt Harvest Health Website and got the recipe for the the protein bars they have. Taste great and full of nutrition. I also take the single serve tuna packets and small tortillas. I dehydrate my own fruits and buy nuts and M&Ms mix together in a large bag and fill small bags for the day. All light weight and don’t take up much room and in the pack. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Aside from the cliff bar/jerky/nuts for snacks, I carry tuna pouches, salami, cheese, and an apple or orange for lunch. I think having fresh fruit and cheese is a treat on a hunt longer than a few days.

Brady Miller has a great article on his stove less backpacking food method. He details it in an article on GoHunt. He was out 7-10 days with no stove. That reduces your H20 requirement as well. Haven't tried the method myself.

Bagels, PB, honey, bacon? Don't threaten me with a good time............

Cliff bars and jerky. I love spam singles, best snack at home. Little mustard and 2 slices of bread and you are done.

Brady Miller has a great article on his stove less backpacking food method. He details it in an article on GoHunt. He was out 7-10 days with no stove. That reduces your H20 requirement as well.

Yeah, I read that too, but can you imagine being on a cold hunt, and only having cold protein shakes for caloric intake? I don't think I'd want to do it. There's something about a warm cup of coffee in the morning and a warm Mountain House at night that makes me more comfortable when I'm living out in the elements.

Yeah, I read that too, but can you imagine being on a cold hunt, and only having cold protein shakes for caloric intake? I don't think I'd want to do it. There's something about a warm cup of coffee in the morning and a warm Mountain House at night that makes me more comfortable when I'm living out in the elements.

I'm on your side LuketheDog, I take 3-4 of those instant Starbucks (insert yuppee comment here) coffees and a mountain house at night. Hot food and a warm cup of coffee can change your outlook on the day pretty fast. I can't live without them. Guys like Brady are tougher than me

i use pbj and tuna in foil packs on sandwich thins. I also make the noodle packets that just add water and take 7 min to make and throw packet of chicken in foil in. Cheaper than a mountain house which i also use. For the first few nights i eat frozen steaks wrapped in newspaper. Went 2 days in 70 deg and my steak was still to frozen to cook right, and i can handle pink. I bring the pre cooked bacon also. Dont calculate the per lb cost, also don't let you signifigant other calculate the per lb cost of your non resident hunts. I have had a few pieces of tenderloin from 4 elk hunts. So like $1800 per bite but oh the memories 375 class at 100 yards worth it.

I concur! stove, warm meals, and hot coffee or hot chocolate is worth it if weather is going to be cold!

I'm on your side LuketheDog, I take 3-4 of those instant Starbucks (insert yuppee comment here) coffees and a mountain house at night. Hot food and a warm cup of coffee can change your outlook on the day pretty fast. I can't live without them. Guys like Brady are tougher than me

Do you tuck your manbun under your hat when you hunt? :W:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back