Need Advice on Food in the field

mcelweed

I'm not doing a backpack hunt per se, but I do leave camp early in the morning and typically stay out until dark. I'm looking for some ideas on lunches and snacks in the field that don't require a lot of gear to prepare. I'm trying to reduce the weight of my pack since I hunt alone and carry a fair amount of survival gear in case I get stuck out. I'm trying to avoid Mt. House type meals because of a shortage of water in the areas of NM I hunt. I have used MREs, but either have to eat them cold or "waste" water in the heater pack. What do Huntalkers take to the field for nutritious, good tasting meals and snacks? Thanks.

Well the lightest options have the water removed for you to put back in, but since that's not a great option for you I'd just pack whatever tastes good. The weight difference between a crappy lunch and something tasty like salami/cheese with some dried fruit/nuts is a wash on a day hunt in my book.

For my 5 day first rifle backpack hunt I'm bringing a mt. House for each day, a package each of sliced cheese, salami, and pitas, an energy bar and candy bar per day, and various other snacks and gumies. All together my food weighs around 6lbs. and I guarantee I will have leftovers. Tent, sleeping bag, pad, water, first aid etc. puts me right at 36lbs add another 10lbs for rifle and optics.

When I am day hunting I do salami/cheese/mustard rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla. It is packed with protein and fat that seems to keep me going longer than sugary/carby stuff. Throw in some trail mix, peanut butter packs, and jerky for snack and you are good to go.

Trail Mix, Planters Portable protein packs, Nutella to go, Clif bars, hard salami and flat bread, raisins or dried mango slices.

Read this post with interest and got a chuckle out of it Minnesota Hunter, I pack nearly the identical food items, the only difference - Hot mustard!
In my book Jerky is a must, the protein to weight ration is too good to ignore.

I day hunt the same way. I have a place to stay near where I like to hunt and I'm a sucker for a warm bed, hot showers and folks to chat with in the evening. What I do for food is made up of mid-morning/afternoon snacks and lunch. I make my own "energy" bars. Made up of dates, nuts, dried fruit, coconut, etc. Each one is around 300 calories. I carry two a day plus a couple of apples. Jerky is great as an additional food. For lunch I eat a mtn house freeze dry. The weight of the msr stove I have is pretty minimal and sometimes it's nice to have hot food depending on which season I'm hunting. I tend to not go through all my food in a day because I like to have a little extra. Whatever is left (apple, part of a bar) gets eaten on the drive out each evening. I also throw a mtn house meal into my field kit. Depending on when an animal goes down that extra meal is worth every ounce. I've been trying to get my pack weight down as well. I think I'm around 30 lbs. At this point I need to replace gear with ultra light items to save any more. I suspect that I could pack non-freeze dried lunches and ditch the stove and be about the same weight but I like the way my system works for now. Not the cheapest but the extra cost for the mtn house is minimal compared to gas etc. Oh, I buy the 2.5 serving packs. That puts me around 700 - 800 calories at lunch depending on which meal it is.

Oh, one thing I forgot to say. In my rough calculations, the pound of water to make a mtn house is worth it. You need hydration anyway and if you consume it as part of lunch it still counts towards the daily tally. I figure you have to get water in anyway. May as well do it as part of the meal. Just my $0.02

Day hunts for us so we leave before sunrise and usually get back after dark. I normally carry a pb&j sandwich which is still edible 2 or 3 days later if I don't eat it for some reason, trail mix with nuts in it, jerky, granola bars, peanuts, a few candy bars, an apple and 3 liters of water. Depending on how strenuous the day is most of it is usually gone everyday.

I just tried a Good TO Go Granola with Blueberries meal. It only calls for just under a half cup of hot or cold water. I used cold water and found it to be very good. I will order more.

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like what I've been doing is about the best option since everyone's replies are basically what I'm doing, with the exception of Mt House vs MRE. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something "obvious". I was kind of thinking the Mt House route for additional hydration except for having to carry in cooking gear. I have a small alcohol stove and Sterno stove or may buy a cheap gas JetBoil knockoff for heating water

I don't know who got me started on this but a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, honey, and bacon vacuum sealed and ready to eat packs a ton of calories (~550-600) and delivers a balanced carb/fat/protein ratio that is hard to beat. PB&J's and tortilla/salami/cheese are winners also. I usually carry a small stove and coffee singles (Via's) for those cold, long days afield. There's something to be said about the simple process of taking a break to make coffee and eat some nutritious food.

I usually am a GORP, jerky and cheese guy during the day. All seem to suit me well. As for heating water, I just bought this little butane joke for my solo trip and it is really nice for the money. the piezo lighter works well and the fold out legs are stable. I folds up and fits in the container easily. the package is about the size of a large coffee mug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVF29B4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for all the responses. Seems like what I've been doing is about the best option since everyone's replies are basically what I'm doing, with the exception of Mt House vs MRE. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something "obvious". I was kind of thinking the Mt House route for additional hydration except for having to carry in cooking gear. I have a small alcohol stove and Sterno stove or may buy a cheap gas JetBoil knockoff for heating water

I usually am a GORP, jerky and cheese guy during the day. All seem to suit me well. As for heating water, I just bought this little butane joke for my solo trip and it is really nice for the money. the piezo lighter works well and the fold out legs are stable. I folds up and fits in the container easily. the package is about the size of a large coffee mug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVF29B4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had looked at a similar one, but hadn't pulled the trigger yet. I may trade in the alcohol stove for one of them. Thanks.

An MSR pocket rocket 2 with the small canister totals out at just about 10 oz. Pretty hard to be the versatility. I thought about the alcohol route but went canister due to cold temps. I have a liquid fuel stove as well that is for really cold temps but I don't like hunting when it is that cold..... I've used the MSR canisters in the dead of winter when backcountry skiing and never had a problem.

My go to this year for "lunch" type meals has been: 2 packs of tuna (they come in a light small sometimes flavored pouch, all you need is a fork to eat them) 2 granola bars of my favorite variety (usually fudge dipped) and 2 snickers bars. I put it all in a quart zip-lock bag that way im not digging around my pack looking for food. Each pack has about 700 or so calories and really helps take the hunger edge off. I was also adding some trail mix in a zip lock in the original zip-lock to add some more good calories and fats and protein.

I don't know who got me started on this but a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, honey, and bacon vacuum sealed and ready to eat packs a ton of calories (~550-600) and delivers a balanced carb/fat/protein ratio that is hard to beat. PB&J's and tortilla/salami/cheese are winners also. I usually carry a small stove and coffee singles (Via's) for those cold, long days afield. There's something to be said about the simple process of taking a break to make coffee and eat some nutritious food.

The bagel/ pb / honey / bacon is genius! I am going to try that. Do you prep the morning of or do you pre prep and freeze?

I only use My. House for supper the 2 serving kind and I put them in quart veggies to save space and weight. Lunch is tortilla with penutbutter and honey, jerky and a power bar.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back