Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Need Advice on Food in the field

Yeah, I read that too, but can you imagine being on a cold hunt, and only having cold protein shakes for caloric intake? I don't think I'd want to do it. There's something about a warm cup of coffee in the morning and a warm Mountain House at night that makes me more comfortable when I'm living out in the elements.

Agreed. I'll definitely be using his suggestions for my food list next year, but can't get behind stove-less (and not even having a receptacle to boil water in an emergency) backcountry living. I use a beer can alcohol stove for boiling water once per day. That's a minor weight penalty and has worked for me up to 12,000 ft. I've not tried it higher than that, but hear that eventually they don't work so well. His argument against stoves because of loss of water due to evaporation seems spurious unless you forget and boil your water for a long time. I don't think that you're saving any water by not rehydrating a hot meal with it. He's rehydrating a cold protein powder meal with it instead. I think that's a net gain of zero.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back