Roy Montana - Horse Ranch

SteveE

Anyone know the Horse Ranch just north of Roy, Montana? Elk unit 417.

Land ownership is listed as Rocket Land and Livestock out of Denver Colorado.

I was talking with a guy that was allowed to elk hunt it for his sons cow tag years ago.

Does anyone know if they allow hunters anymore?

Any info is appreciated. PM’s are great.

D6C00224-3C65-4915-885A-BA9AA2A36983.jpg

I know the manager and have met the landowner. I wasn't aware that they allowed permission...though the idea of letting a few kids out isn't new to the manager's family

I know the manager and have met the landowner. I wasn't aware that they allowed permission...though the idea of letting a few kids out isn't new to the manager's family

I hunt just north of the horse ranch for deer and cow elk every year . I know a kid that got a cow there few years ago as far as I know they let some kids on every year but that's it . Never heard of anyone getting on for a bull . You have a bull permit don't u ? Pm me again I think I have some more spots and names of landowners for u

I don't know the ranch, but I do know that Roy was supposed to be Ray, after a family member, but some idiot in DC read Roy and put that down. This should help you get on a big bull, but I don't know how.

I don’t know how either but trivia cant hurt 406Life. lol. All advice is appreciated!

So excited for the rifle - love shooting my bow but a smoke pole changes the mindset.

BigSky2 - your PM inbox is full. Thanks to everyone offering advice in PM’s also!!!

Good luck to all!

No help in your quest, but admire ranches the allow the kids to hunt!

Agreed but Quite the opposite in this case is what I’m learning bobbydean. It seems rocket land and livestock are an out of state coorperation which is hording a huge herd of elk during hunting season. which makes it nearly impossible for the FWP biologist to do there job. Which in turn screws there neighbors as the elk move onto others property when the season ends. Some ranches dont have the resources to winter 1,200 head of elk. One of the biggest problems in MT right now. Hence the messed up, misguided abortion called a SHOULDER SEASON.

Agreed but Quite the opposite in this case is what I’m learning bobbydean. It seems rocket land and livestock are an out of state coorperation which is hording a huge herd of elk during hunting season. which makes it nearly impossible for the FWP biologist to do there job. Which in turn screws there neighbors as the elk move onto others property when the season ends. Some ranches dont have the resources to winter 1,200 head of elk. One of the biggest problems in MT right now. Hence the messed up, misguided abortion called a SHOULDER SEASON.

Just issue another 4k cow tags on the surrounding public...that will fix it.

Oh, wait...the FWP already does that.

Wow!!

I was called out on a nice post. Let kids hunt.

That's all. I am old and do not want to make an angry post. There are assholes everywhere!

Just issue another 4k cow tags on the surrounding public...that will fix it.

Oh, wait...the FWP already does that.

This district is open to cow hunting on the general tag Buzz. Not sure what the solution is for FWP. It is a few bad apples hording and putting neighbors in bad situations. FWP cant force them to allow hunters.

Completely agree with you that the current idea is bad Buzz. I think the only chance for change is to name the bad apples and try to let social pressure convince them the resource is more important then there private property rights.

Its a bad deal that keeps spreading and getting worse here. The Local ranchers understand the need to allow access. Its these few big ranches purchased by out of staters that don’t seem to care about there neighbors. Maybe even the opposite, if the small neighbor ranch fails they just buy them up. Great business plan.

I hunt just north of the horse ranch for deer and cow elk every year . I know a kid that got a cow there few years ago as far as I know they let some kids on every year but that's it . Never heard of anyone getting on for a bull . You have a bull permit don't u ? Pm me again I think I have some more spots and names of landowners for u

Nah, I pulled the north side tag. Was looking here for the cow tags.
Everything I have found says this unit is a waste of time.
On to the next one!

Last edited:
Anyone know the Horse Ranch just north of Roy, Montana? Elk unit 417.

Land ownership is listed as Rocket Land and Livestock out of Denver Colorado.

I was talking with a guy that was allowed to elk hunt it for his sons cow tag years ago.

Does anyone know if they allow hunters anymore?

Any info is appreciated. PM’s are great.

View attachment 75257

Wish I could help you. Been hunting that country for a long time and as far as I ever knew access to hunt was pretty difficult on the ranch. Nice picture of your tent with Black Butte in the background! I love that country over there and the people as well. My father grew up in Roy and my grandparents homesteaded there.

Back