Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

"The Bob" Elk - 2017

Ran into a hiccup. Actually more the likes of a choke. Still going in though having to adjust.

I've been so focused with panniers on the paint, (Sass) That I did not work with the other, Rio. I was told by the prior owner back late April(?) that he was his back country horse in the Bob for hunting... I don't think I ever asked whether he specifically packed vs just ridden in the back country... well, it is pretty clear he has not packed. :( My bad.

Figured today would be a brush up day for Rio... Throw the packs on and go for a walk. He was fantastic, at first. Calmly stood, even resting a leg while I connected the hard sided panniers to their buckles. Placed the cinch for the packs, etc. My mind was so set on Sass, I did the ole' assume Rio was "pack ready"... and getting him setup even furthered my belief he really had been packed.

Well, A TRAIN WRECK commenced. As soon as I began walking Rio with the lead I realized things were about to get... real - and real quick! The sound of the cordura pannier outer material perked his ears, his body began the shakes - the panic dance in place. He was hanging in there as I tried to calm him then -boom! He was off! Ripping down the driveway and off into the trees! Full gallop! I heard him busting through an area I had fell a few trees a couple months earlier and was hoping he would make it out without injuring himself.

Then, out of the thick he proceeded, barreling right towards Sass, (the paint in the first post) and I. He flew by me and ground to a halt! I grabbed the lead that ran the distance with him. I didn't see any wounds. All was in tact. All held their position. My wife came out and took Sass off my hands, who amazingly was calm as heck, just watching the spectacle!

Rio listened though scared poop-less and I mean literally as I walked him into our 2-3 acre pasture. I thought this may turn out okay - so long as it could end on a good note and remove the panniers. Walk him a bit, reduce his anxiety, etc... It was going okay though still very tense for the first 20 steps, then I had a slight trip over a mound and OFF he went.

My dread hit when he routed his full gallop right through the open gate that attached the open pasture to the treed hillside area (approx 2 acres). My pucker factor boomed as he routed through a tight set of trees. I could not see him though heard some heavy crashing noises and knew he met an unmovable set as he did not exit out. Ugh! Then out of that stand of small trees he blew out. That run in spun the panniers off their position and that certainly did not help! Now he was bucking as he ran further along their beat down trails - thankfully pretty open routes through stands of trees. I got up there and began talking to him and he stopped. I think he was more exhausted than listening though I'll take it!

It is never fun for any who have dealt with a slipped belly sided saddle situation. One pannier was side/belly positioned and the other was top/side positioned - if you can visualize. He stayed, sweaty as heck! Not really shaking near the amount he had earlier. The delicate actions to remove the cinch, and other connection points to remove the panniers. The saddle remained in a good position. Jenna worked on one side of him while I worked on the other. He stayed still as the panniers and pack were removed. We decided to pull his saddle as well.

He stood very attentive as I looked him over. In all, he came out clean of injury! Sheesh! Amazing! He has a couple small cuts near one hoof and a rub of skin on his snout, prob from a step yank on the lead rope that pulled his halter harder than ever imagined.
My $400 saddle designed pannier setup took a good beating! The panniers and pannier strapping held amazingly well however the pannier mount fabric that snugs onto the saddle took a beating. Amazing! The force used to tear through the thick webbed straps, yet minimal/superficial wounds!!! I'll take it back to the company - see if the $ damage can bee minimized to replace that part as the rest seems good.

Yup... agree, never assume with horses. Yup also agree, the round pen would be the spot to test out the pannier setting. There are many aspects of hind sight I would agree to. Unfortunately, I broke down the round pen as I use those panels during winter for the covered corral setup. I should have at least tried him in the lower closed gates pasture, at the least. Could have, should have - but didn't. It is what it is... pretty sobering Bob reality check...

This pic does not do justice for the thickness of the straps. They are thick! It is amazing the buckle metal tat pokes through the hole of the straps actually tore the entire length through the webbing!
Pannier.jpg

Hard to tell though he is one sweaty horse! His bottom left shoe area is the location where he has a small cut.
Riosweating.jpg

Riopanniers.jpg

Well, to the drawing board though not out of the trip... It's happening! Just glad Rio is okay. Sass did fine with the panniers and amazingly well her calm demeanor as Rio had his race through the trees!

Unplanned rodeo is never a welcome event. You and your horse are quite fortunate to escape with as little damage as has been done. Here's hoping you can get him accustomed to carrying your gear.

Green horses for the real trip are a no no. Some trial runs are a good idea. mtmuley

At this point, the horses are benched from packing. My thoughts were Sass would be the one for concern and she was coming along great! Rio was the "experienced" one.
It was a simple bullet to bite that horse "packing" is a no go, this year and this circus today prob set back the packing of Rio 6 steps for the 1 forward made if not more. However, if possible, I'd like to get them in this season.

Not a horse person myself but have enjoyed reading these posts! best of luck to you this season and give us an update once in a while. I get a good laugh as long as no one is getting hurt to bad. I'm sure you probably needed to go to confession after some of these.

Reading along here, I was waiting for the part where the panniers got damaged! You didn't disappoint, unfortunately!

May be down... but not out - yet. I've been here before (Not pannier blow up, but...)- Horse packed as a USFS trail crew lead and upon conclusion held over for hunting outfitter / private Griz compliance inspector for the Bridger - Teton Wilderness, WY. 8 day tours w/ 4 days off and back in, pack string in tow. Been... 16 years since though and my bones sure feel it.
Of course, it never hurt working with horses that are pretty much top notch back country ready and knew the area...

Trying to lease a pack mule or two - again with the full intent to work with them while my partner hunts. My backyard is a 14k Public Land Trust area that we've been riding these guys (and gal). They're pretty good.

Again, may be down though not out. I'm really bummed to think of the forward steps lost in that one 10 minute span of time, now several steps back, though very grateful he came out of that unscathed!

It's been a non stop "rodeo" of events trying to keep this trip afloat.
I feel as though I'm a cold calling salesman :D - messaging Craigslist people selling pack horses and offering to lease their "pack" horse/mule for 10 days. Have a friend who is a great, real full time community organizer type gal - well networked. She's connected me with a couple who have linked me with possible options as well.

My annual leave begins 1800 today. Sunday, tomorrow is our entry day. Tic toc...

Sass has been soft sided panniered (made up word) without issue. She's a very calm - relaxed horse that is very people friendly and this has helped tremendously! She may be the go to though still unsure about packing out game... hated doing it, and they were not too fond though I swiped a piece of roadkill - deer blood, mixed it with a bit of water in my palm and wiped it just below their snout. Rio was a bit pissy though again, Sass was lippin up a bit but cared little. Did I mention - for sake of drama increase, she is 4? That should get the imminent train wreck crew riveted to the outcome! Haha!

I would rather ride Rio and Sass with a good packer mule to carry the basics. We're going in for base camp roughly 6-8 miles so a pretty short jaunt.

Of the 4 cold calls, two have been on board. I'll get to that in a minute. I need to switch computers then I'll edit this to "ramble on..."

<Rambling on...>

The cold calls: On Thursday, I spoke with a lady who had a molly she was selling. She agreed to lease and said it had extensive pack experience in the back country. I thought one large chunk of this may have just resolved itself! It was a late run - Able to leave work an hour early, Jenna had hooked the gooseneck trailer, etc. I raced home, threw on some rough clothes and jumped into the truck - rolled out. I arrived at the location in the dark, 2030hrs - 2.5 hr drive.

The stable-hand directed my trailer in and I was stoked! Got out, started opening up the trailer - Then... it reversed a 180*. "Hey, we realized when we brought her in from the pasture, she might need to be trimmed, but take a look - your call." I took a look and I don't care who you are, that mule was a no go... She was heading out the next morning for another location so could not get it resolved the next day. I called my farrier though a no go before the trip. He had some large contracted properties a distance away - he offered to make it work though it would have really bent his day - Not something I am interested in doing.

Ended up driving away - empty trailered - cash still in hand. Bah! That was frustrating... They really were pushing for me to take her. Could have called me earlier as I was texting my location along the route... Guess they thought I might figure a way to shoe her in time and feel pressured to take due to my travel down. I was pressuring myself to make it happen just couldn't see it and did not want to be stuck with an unusable mule. It was frustrating though no sense showing it at the time. It was what it was...

Next one was an email response, "Ya! That sounds great! I'll definitely rent her out!" The phone # looked somewhat familiar, The person's name did as well. This was a person that was trying to sell a horse to us that was far from what was described back the beginning of the year - when looking for a horse for our daughter. Small world and nice enough young lady I think not perusing this one was a good call. Believe me, I am super excited to make this work though I am still trying to keep a degree of sense in the decisions made. Questionable? Sure. :D Though trying to restrain the urge to jump onto the train bound for a trackless future.

Spoke with a couple great people that were very helpful with my alternative interest to examine Outfitters in our intended area who would pack out any game... The downside? The two I've called are in the woods and I've not been able to reach them. I was told it may range about 125-150 a horse... I'm hoping I can get this down to $100 a pack horse... Heck the distance is pretty darn short - though I am not in a real good position to negotiate.

Anyhow - checking in with the day before update and a bit of a wambulance rant... ;)

Last edited:
And the conclusion...

HORSES BENCHED

Think has been mostly covered... No go, this year. I believe Duck-Slayer holds the golden ticket! I've been involved with horses since youth and find it hard to part though if I did, pack goats would be my pick - feed alone holds amazing advantages!

<Prelude>
The adventure into 'The Bob' continued with some modifications. How? Read on. This was a rough, "On Your Own Adventure into American's Wilderness".

BOB'S GRAND ENTRY

The majestic entrance into view of 'The Bob'. An amazing world unspoiled by modern day innovations. This world turns on wo/man and the wild. This pic was from the road while driving to our start location, still several miles away.

grtview.jpg

THE SLED THEORY

Without horses, the theory of sleds had to be tested and boy, was it a drag! God knowing how I convinced my hunt partner to continue with this adventure however, I believe the only way I'll EVER tease the idea of sled use is to retrieve game and it better be within reasonable distance. Haha!
Seven miles inward on trail <trail=a good thing, seven miles, an ugly thing> over and under recent blow down <eh, a bad thing> and switchbacks <eh, another bad thing> mud that acted like suction cups to the bottom of the sleds <eh, another bad thing> and the shear never ending sensation of tugging something other than game! <Need I say? Another bad thing...>
Let it be known, Terry is a machine! Had I realized he packed everything to include the kitchen sink into his duffel, we would have, could have and should have but didn't remove a whoop-load of weight from his sled!
In all fairness to his pack choices, he was under the impression I did my homework and figured the trail to be level, smooth going for a max of three to mayyybe pullin' four miles in to set up base camp... He probably pulled an extra 15 lbs over my own setup.

Approximately one mile from where we set camp for the night along the steepest of terrains, Terry's duffel rolled off his sled and down the slope it rolled/bounced. After the time spent dragging sleds and the first time his sled bucked - well it was a mental, UGH!
He slid mostly down the hill. Unfortunately as many of us have experienced, one foot became planted while his body continued to slide, hyper extending his right leg. Something on the inside thigh portion was extremely strained...
I tossed some p-cord with a carabiner down to him and pulled his duffel back to the trail... maybe 60 feet or so. He managed his way back to the trail and continued to pull his sled. Thankfully this portion was slightly sloped downhill though his leg was hurting.

swthbksld.jpg

And a view along the way...

slopedrackface.jpg

SLEEP

Our first night was determined after concluding we were still a mile or so from our intended base location. We were both exhausted with the sun 30 minutes from disappearing. Unfortunately, our setting was not leasurely trailed along the beautiful westslope cuthroat trout <and dinner> filled river... As I had shared with Terry.
The entire trek up to this point was on a sloped and mostly tree clogged hillside! We dropped our gear and wandered further before concluding the small, somewhat level mound would be our first night's camp. Threw down the tarp, inflated our pads and prepped our bags.
One amazing aspect - There is an incredible mental difference between having a fire or not. We made ourselves a simple fire and WOW! What a value that brought us! We've both had many fires in our lifetime, this one meant a heck of a lot!

tarpslp.jpg

SALVAGE THE HUNT

We passed a route to a trailhead that began along a closed off road that paralleled us for the most part, less a lengthy hairpin portion. Due to the leg injury and our distance to pack out within a day unless additional was needed to pack out game, we opted to route ourselves to the road. Unfortunately, we were still a couple miles from reading the "Entering Bob Marshall Wilderness" sign.
Surprisingly, the road was a mere quarter mile from our trail. That large hairpin route in the road is the reason Outfitter pack along the trail... and I would imagine upon further inspection, a lot of sharp grated type rock used for the road would be a bruiser to the horse's frog...
We dragged the sleds along the road to the end of the hairpin where it seemed opportunity was present to salvage the hunt, to a degree.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Wow! I can't imagine trying to pull all of my gear uphill on a sled! I'm hoping for a successful end to the story.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back