Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Where to go

RodneyII

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site and am looking for some guidance.
Here's my situation. I'm a 64 year old male who has recently (within the past 5 years) gotten into archery big time. In the past two years I have made trips to southwestern Colorado and hunted elk with an outfitter. Unfortunately, both times my hunts (mid September) were, to say the least, unsuccessful. I saw only 1 legal bull and never even heard a bugle. I had worked my butt off to get in the best physical condition possible, and practiced shooting almost every day for the 2 years. There's nothing I want more than to experience a bull elk screaming at me and hopefully get an opportunity for a shot.
So I'm turning to you folks to give me some suggestions as to where I should go to maximize my chances for at least seeing a bull close up and personal. I'm by no means a trophy hunter, so even a rag horn would make me happy. Any antlered elk would be a trophy to me. I can't afford a high end, private ranch hunt and because of my age, can't wait forever to hopefully draw a tag requiring multiple points.
Help me out. Where should I concentrate my efforts on looking for an outfitter who can put me on an elk?
Thanks.

Grouse mesa outfitters in New Mexico. Great place for newer elk hunters not looking for a 350 bull, just looking to hear and see a lot of elk. Reasonable cost as well

Spending time in elk country has been my greatest asset. In August 2015 I saw my first elk scouting for a hunt in Idaho and last month I killed my first elk in the same unit. Called him in and he came in chuckling, lip bawling, etc. What we all dream of. It took until day twelve for it all to come together though. Do you have to stay in Colorado? Can you take the money you would spend on a guide and do longer or multiple trips?

No, Colorado was just an option because of the high elk population. I'm willing to go anywhere. I live in the western part of New York State, so traveling is just a part of the experience. However, I do need a guide service because I don't have the necessary equipment for a DIY hunt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In my research this year I ran across an older guy up near Townsend, MT. He listed his ranch as Elk meadow ranch. He is a hay farmer and is set up for archery hunters hunting out of blinds on the trails comming into the pivots. It wasn’t my thing but it may work for you. I stumbled on to him thru google and didn’t keep his info. Prices were reasonable for what he offered with very high success rates.

No, Colorado was just an option because of the high elk population. I'm willing to go anywhere. I live in the western part of New York State, so traveling is just a part of the experience. However, I do need a guide service because I don't have the necessary equipment for a DIY hunt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nice! I'm from Rochester

Sent you a PM for an outfitter in the area I hunt. Hope that helps.

Thanks to all who gave me some input. Now I need to do my home work, but first it's off to my tree stand for the beginning of deer season.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back