Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

barnes bullet performance , 168lrx

Ronin75

I thinking about reloading some barnes 168LRX bullets for my 7mmRM. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience using these on ELK at extended ranges (400-600 yards), I have been using Barnes 150 TTSX for Elk and now want to use a heavier bullet. Any comments regarding either bullet at the above listed ranges would be appreciated.

They recommend a faster twist (1:8 I believe) for the 168LRX, otherwise they might be on the edge of stability, and won't achieve their true BC potential. If you have a fast twist 7mm, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, a factory 1:9/1:9.5 twist might be too slow. The 145gr and the new 139gr were designed for the 7mm Rem Mag performance window.

As far as Barnes' performance in general, I'm very pleased with the results I've had in the past with the TSX and TTSX bullets.

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing, That 150ttsx is all you'll ever need for elk.

It isn't an accident that the Barnes Vor-TX 7mm Longrange load is 139 gr/145 gr for 7mm Remington Magnum. The Barnes really do better at a medium or light relative bullet weight because they are 15% less dense than traditional bimetal bullets so they get very long for their bullet weight. A 168gr LRX is going to be longer than most 180 gr Bimetal VLD bullets and take a custom barrel twist rate to stabilize and it will start eating up powder capacity quickly if you are limited to seating length by a rifle magazine. You don't need the heavy weight for Barnes bullets to penetrate because of their weight retention and very controlled expansion. The higher velocities you get with the lighter Barnes loads typically offset their lesser BC and the downrange energy is a wash. Once you start playing around in ballistic calculators with published data on Barnes bullets the energy at ranges past 300 yards actually get worse with bullets heavier than 150 gr. I'm guessing the 168 gr LRX is designed for custom rifles in 7mm Ultramag or some very uncommon offering.

I thinking about reloading some barnes 168LRX bullets for my 7mmRM. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience using these on ELK at extended ranges (400-600 yards), I have been using Barnes 150 TTSX for Elk and now want to use a heavier bullet. Any comments regarding either bullet at the above listed ranges would be appreciated.

What results did you get with the 150 that makes you want to change?? I agree with others that the 150 is a better choice.

I was my very first elk hunt last week and had a shot on a very large bull at 580 yards, I was hesitant on taking the shot since I had never shot that far in practice. i past on that bull and shot a smaller bull at 250 yards with a neck shot. The bullet entered the right side of his neck just in front of the shoulder 3 to 4 inches below the spine. The bull dropped immediately but kick for about 30 seconds, i was unable to fire a second shot. The bullet did not exit and that got me to start playing head games if I should go to a heavy bullet for the first bull I saw. I will differently need some range time at extended distances, and though that a heavier bullet would be necessary for the first bull. I"m probably over thinking this .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back