Tape over the end of the rifle barrel???

Nobody else uses a condom? I like to keep one on hand in case my wild fantasies of running across a nubile mountain woman come true. :hump::hump:

I’ve used balloons for years. While they do sometimes get torn in cold weather or brush, it’s easy to carry a spare and not deal with sticky tape or non sticking tape.

22 responses? In over 30 years of hunting I 've never used tape, condoms or finger cots on my rifle barrel. mtmuley

After slipping and falling hard a handful of times on my recent goat hunts I'm covering the barrel. The last crash loaded my barrel full of snow.

After slipping and falling hard a handful of times on my recent goat hunts I'm covering the barrel. The last crash loaded my barrel full of snow.

On a centerfire rifle I worry very little, but I have had muzzleloader shots foul because of weather. We typically hunt a late season muzzleloader elk hunt when the weather can be really wet and nasty. This is when the practice pays off.

Yup, electrical tape over the end... or a friend shared, the small sized balloon works fine.

Snow, slip and barrel digs, etc... easy fix for a potential problem when the boom-stick goes... BOOM! ;)

Electrical tape = Cheap, simple insurance.

Couple wraps around stock. Reapply after the shot, attach tag, cover small cuts. I don't see a downside.

Last edited:
Elec. tape has always been my friend. Used it on my guns since the 60's. Taped tags & covered/bound wounds since the 70's too.
I always have a small roll end in my pocket hunting. Some in any tool box,gear bag & every truck door pocket/compartment.
This thread reminds me to replace the piece I just blew a hole thru yesterday on my -06.

A goat hunt in AK is when I learned the joy of falling and tumbling then not having any issues with the end of the barrel. Tape it up and never worry as you go to squeeze the trigger that you are about to touch off a pipe bomb. If you have not had an issue with dirt or sand or mud or snow being forced into your gun barrel then fantastic. I have never been struck by lightning but I do not walk on ridgetops during electrical storms. Maybe I am invincible to lightning and should throw caution to the wind. I won't. And, I will wrap my barrel for the same reasons.

22 responses? In over 30 years of hunting I 've never used tape, condoms or finger cots on my rifle barrel. mtmuley

28 years of hunting for me and I have never done it myself but last time I made the argument I was told I don't hunt nasty weather and I am a idiot.

I wouldn't have any problem with doing it just never have and never had an issue. The only I had an issue was falling in the mud duck hunting and my barrel got plugged. I just pulled it off and cleaned it out and went back to hunting.

Elec. tape has always been my friend. Used it on my guns since the 60's. Taped tags & covered/bound wounds since the 70's too.
I always have a small roll end in my pocket hunting. Some in any tool box,gear bag & every truck door pocket/compartment.
This thread reminds me to replace the piece I just blew a hole thru yesterday on my -06.

Gorilla Tape; sticks better and doesn't get gummy after 2 years in the sun.

28 years of hunting for me and I have never done it myself but last time I made the argument I was told I don't hunt nasty weather and I am a idiot.

I wouldn't have any problem with doing it just never have and never had an issue. The only I had an issue was falling in the mud duck hunting and my barrel got plugged. I just pulled it off and cleaned it out and went back to hunting.

Yeah, but cleaning a shotgun barrel in the field is cake. A rifle barrel, not so much...

I always do this with a muzzel loader, but never a modern rifle. It doesn't effect anything with the MLs I've used.

I do this with MLs because when it's humid the black powder easily absorbs the moisture in the air and missfires. A piece of tape over the muzzle solves that problem. I don't really worry about it with my centerfires but maybe I should.

Trying to get mud and snow out of a barrel at oh dark thirty when it's cold is not my idea of fun. I've taped barrels ever since.

I'm gonna try to remember to tape my barrel next Saturday the 21st. Can't guarantee it though. Lots of options. mtmuley

Do you tape your bow as well? I wouldn't want to get snow or mud in the rest. But I think it would alter the arrow flight.

Back