Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post
    After slipping and falling hard a handful of times on my recent goat hunts I'm covering the barrel. The last crash loaded my barrel full of snow.
    On a centerfire rifle I worry very little, but I have had muzzleloader shots foul because of weather. We typically hunt a late season muzzleloader elk hunt when the weather can be really wet and nasty. This is when the practice pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by grandejuan View Post
    Duct tape on mine. GJ
    I took a fall crossing a snowy log on a Montana elk hunt in '84, packed the muzzle full of mud and snow. It wasted a good hour getting it clear enough to shoot again. I've used duct tape since. GJ

Yup, electrical tape over the end... or a friend shared, the small sized balloon works fine.

Snow, slip and barrel digs, etc... easy fix for a potential problem when the boom-stick goes... BOOM!
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice

Rockin' HT's 2017 MLB Champion - Hall of Famer. Giving Pete Rose a run for his $$$

Electrical tape = Cheap, simple insurance.

Couple wraps around stock. Reapply after the shot, attach tag, cover small cuts. I don't see a downside.
    Last edited by mtmiller; 10-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.

I have seen several rifles with a slight bulge or ring in the barrel.a couple of modern rifles and several old Winchester lever guns. The modern guns were within an inch of the muzzle. The levers were near the magazine retaining ring dovetail, which is the weak point on the barrel. I am not sure what caused it, but since one of them happened while I owned the rifle I now tape my barrel.

Elec. tape has always been my friend. Used it on my guns since the 60's. Taped tags & covered/bound wounds since the 70's too.
    I always have a small roll end in my pocket hunting. Some in any tool box,gear bag & every truck door pocket/compartment.
    This thread reminds me to replace the piece I just blew a hole thru yesterday on my -06.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post
    After slipping and falling hard a handful of times on my recent goat hunts I'm covering the barrel. The last crash loaded my barrel full of snow.
    A goat hunt in AK is when I learned the joy of falling and tumbling then not having any issues with the end of the barrel. Tape it up and never worry as you go to squeeze the trigger that you are about to touch off a pipe bomb. If you have not had an issue with dirt or sand or mud or snow being forced into your gun barrel then fantastic. I have never been struck by lightning but I do not walk on ridgetops during electrical storms. Maybe I am invincible to lightning and should throw caution to the wind. I won't. And, I will wrap my barrel for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
    22 responses? In over 30 years of hunting I 've never used tape, condoms or finger cots on my rifle barrel. mtmuley
    28 years of hunting for me and I have never done it myself but last time I made the argument I was told I don't hunt nasty weather and I am a idiot.

I wouldn't have any problem with doing it just never have and never had an issue. The only I had an issue was falling in the mud duck hunting and my barrel got plugged. I just pulled it off and cleaned it out and went back to hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by hank4elk View Post
    Elec. tape has always been my friend. Used it on my guns since the 60's. Taped tags & covered/bound wounds since the 70's too.
    I always have a small roll end in my pocket hunting. Some in any tool box,gear bag & every truck door pocket/compartment.
    This thread reminds me to replace the piece I just blew a hole thru yesterday on my -06.
    Gorilla Tape; sticks better and doesn't get gummy after 2 years in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    28 years of hunting for me and I have never done it myself but last time I made the argument I was told I don't hunt nasty weather and I am a idiot.

I wouldn't have any problem with doing it just never have and never had an issue. The only I had an issue was falling in the mud duck hunting and my barrel got plugged. I just pulled it off and cleaned it out and went back to hunting.
    Yeah, but cleaning a shotgun barrel in the field is cake. A rifle barrel, not so much...

Electric tape is always in my pack for weather change...not used too much in southern cal...........

I always do this with a muzzel loader, but never a modern rifle. It doesn't effect anything with the MLs I've used.

I do this with MLs because when it's humid the black powder easily absorbs the moisture in the air and missfires. A piece of tape over the muzzle solves that problem. I don't really worry about it with my centerfires but maybe I should.

We been tapeing our guns for alot of years.

Trying to get mud and snow out of a barrel at oh dark thirty when it's cold is not my idea of fun. I've taped barrels ever since.
    Fear the beard....

I'm gonna try to remember to tape my barrel next Saturday the 21st. Can't guarantee it though. Lots of options. mtmuley

16. Default

Do you tape your bow as well? I wouldn't want to get snow or mud in the rest. But I think it would alter the arrow flight.

I'm a slow learner. After one stalk blown because the buck wandered off while I was finding the perfect stick to rod out the barrel and one bulged barrel from ice in the muzzle brake I never forget the tape these days.

I have graduated from black electrical tape to blue or green painters tape, works better IMHO. About 10 wraps around an old 35mm film container leaves plenty for other uses listed earlier.
    It Doesn't Matter What You Miss Them With.

Yep even do it on my muzzleloader. I shot a elk this September and when I got back to camp with the first load of meat and my gear, my buddy picked up my muzzleloader to put it in the case and dumped out a bunch of pine needles. I told him that is why I always tape my barrels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12