PEAX Equipment

Tape over the end of the rifle barrel???

JMG

I'm curious how many of you put a piece of electrical or other "tape" over the end of you rifle barrel to help stop things from entering the barrel (i.e. snow, rain, or mud in the event you drop your gun, etc)? Thoughts? Does this affect ballistics performance when you fire the gun?

Thanks. Just curious. I know of a few people who do and state there is no issues when firing the gun.

There have been a few threads on this before but I'm too lazy to go back and look them up.

No. It doesn't affect your ballistics. The air coming out of the barrel blows a hole through the tape before the bullet gets there.

Several people have tested this at the range.

Yes. Having tape over the end of your barrel is a really good idea for the reasons you mentioned.

I personally keep a piece of electrical tape over the end of my barrel with another piece wrapped around the end so after I shoot I can cover the barrel up with the spare piece.

I do it all the time when it gets rainy, wet, and snowy. I always carry a roll of electricians tape in my pack so I don't wrap it around the barrel like others have stated to have extra on hand. It does keep stuff out of the barrel.

I do it all the time when it gets rainy, wet, and snowy. I always carry a roll of electricians tape in my pack so I don't wrap it around the barrel like others have stated to have extra on hand. It does keep stuff out of the barrel.

same here

Been doing it for years. It's piece of mind for an unobstructed barrel and doesn't affect performance. Complete necessity, IMO.

There have been a few threads on this before but I'm too lazy to go back and look them up.

No. It doesn't affect your ballistics. The air coming out of the barrel blows a hole through the tape before the bullet gets there.

Several people have tested this at the range.

Yes. Having tape over the end of your barrel is a really good idea for the reasons you mentioned.

I personally keep a piece of electrical tape over the end of my barrel with another piece wrapped around the end so after I shoot I can cover the barrel up with the spare piece.

Exactly the same setup I use for rifle and muzzleloader.

What everyone else has said! No effect on the bullet. The tape is blown odd by the air coming out of the barrel when the gun is fired. When the bullet gets there, the tape is long gone. I always cover my hunting rifle muzzles.

I always have tape over the muzzle when in the field. Beats jamming a stick down your barrel trying to get dirt or snow out.

I normally do it when the weather turns ugly. I keep a good supply of electrical tape wrapped around one of my trekking poles and duck tape around the other pole. I know a number of the hunting relates stores also sale a rubber end cover and have seen people use the finger from a rubber glove, but neither of those things seem to be a resistant to damage as electrical tape.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comment. I was double checking and will likely start doing as suggested.

I use finger cots too, keep them handy incase you cut yourself dressing an animal too.

Yes. As soon as I'm done with my last range session I tape it up and leave it that way until either I go to the range again (meaning I ate tag soup) or I come home lucky.

I use finger cots too, keep them handy incase you cut yourself dressing an animal too.

A finger cot might last 15 seconds when hiking through brush in cold weather. Electrical tape is the best thing I’ve found.

Last edited:
I take a plastic Zip Lock baggie and cut a circle about 2" in diameter to cover the barrel then use electrical tape to wrap the barrel and hold it in place so I don't get tape glue on the barrel. Same basic principal as the tape directly on the barrel.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back