Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montana Billy

1. Default

Great job on the billy! Definitely my favorite outta the big three but it's becoming a tight race between them and a mature unlimited ram! Way to stick with and get a second crack on that guy!
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

FHF Gear harness....sure...that not a Victoria's Secret Sports bra tanline...

Good on you for taking the time to dry fire a few times to esnure you were ready for the shot. That is discipline and character that you rarely read about. After the first you shot, you felt like you owed it to the animal to make this one count and that showed.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Great hunt and well told story. I'm still waiting for that goat tag.

Great hunt and pictures

Thanks guys. Goat hunting has definitely gotten in my blood as this was my 4th goat hunt in eight years. I'll finish the story and add a few more pictures when I get back to the hotel tonight

We had checked the weather before we headed in and knew we were supposed to get some rain/snow on Saturday afternoon. As we worked to get the goat cut up we could see the clouds moving in and knew that the weather man was right for once. We had hopes of making it back to the truck that night so we worked as fast as we could. With the packs finally loaded up we headed for camp. Not wanting to play around in the rocks with full packs we headed for the trees but that wasn't much fun. The snow and deadfall made for slow going so we worked our way back up the hill the best we could. We were all pretty tuckered by this point but the knew the worst was still ahead of us.

Name:  P1000654.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  88.1 KB

We made it back to camp at 4:45 and had to make the decision whether we stayed another night on the mountain or headed for the truck. It was starting to rain pretty good and the wind picked up so we decided to pack up and head for the truck. We had camp broke down and packs loaded up in about 45 mins and headed for the truck. Thankfully the snow had melted off but it was still difficult navigating through the deadfall with the heavy packs. Between the three of us we ended up with 2-95 lb packs and one in the 75 lb range.

There was a slight celebration once we finally hit the trail

Name:  P1000655.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  96.5 KB

But it quickly faded again as we trudged down the trail. I made sure to take this pic for mtmiller. I know he's posed for a few pictures by this sign

Name:  P1000656.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  91.1 KB

Our timing was pretty good as we made it back to the truck right at dark. Sitting on a tailgate has never felt so good...

Name:  P1000659.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  29.9 KB

I was thankful to be able to tag along on this adventure. Its hard to beat a weekend in the mountains with good friends trying to achieve what sometimes feels impossible.

Not that it matters as it is a trophy of a lifetime no matter what the tape says but, the game warden aged him at 8 years old with a long horn of 9 1/8 and 4 7/8 bases. I hope I have many more goat hunts in my future but I think this one will be hard to top!

Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded story!

7. Default

That is a great story and a beatuful goat. congrats. Those are memories that will last a lifetime.

Congrats on a great goat and hunt! Well done.
    Member - BCBHA

Congrats on a great goat!

Wow, what a great hunt and story to support it. Extra points for the grouse, with a rock, no less. Congrats.

Thanks for sharing here.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

Nice goat!
    Fear the beard....

Man congrats what a hunt. Number one on my to do list if I can ever draw a tag. Maybe someday.

awesome story and pictures. Thanks for sharing and Congrats!

Well done!!

Thanks everyone!

Awesome. Congrats!
    Q: Why does Snoop Dogg need an umbrella?
    A: Fo Drizzle

Sounds and looks like good times and a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Great story. Congrats on the nice billy.

19. Default

awesome experience. Jealous!!

Amazing hunt! Thanks for posting.

21. Default

great story and an awesome experience and trophy. Definitely on my buck list!

Awesome story and great goat! I'm beyond jealous.

Great write up. The air is thin where the goats live. That bothers me more than the steepness, usually. Seeing those pictures made me smile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12