Nosler ammo slow?

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Anyone else run into slow ammo from Nosler before? I've shot some of the .308 that runs pretty close to stated velocities out of a 26" Remington, but slightly slower (still within reasonable fps, 25+/-) but recently I bought some 140gr Accubond Trophy Grade ammo for a 26"bbl 7mm Rem Mag that wouldn't even break 3000fps with the few shots I took. I was using a Magnetospeed chronograph, and the highest recorded velocity was 2999fps.

I've read the 7mm Rem Mag can be one of the biggest offenders for having "slow" barrels, according to everything I've read online, but I thought 200fps was a bit much.

One of the nice thing's about the time I started reloading, late 60's, was we didn't have to know how fast out ammo was. Whatever the manual said they got with that load, we also got! :) Then came in chronograph's and our good faith was destroyed! Get rid of the chronograph and try the load again! :)

The question is...how does it shoot?

IMO, accuracy trumps velocity (within reason).

I think just shy of 3k is actually pretty darn slow for the 140's. I get 2970 with a 160 AB out of my 7 RM (handloads), never have shot anything lighter so cant help you there.

But for reference I reload 140 AB's for 2 7-08's and I'm getting 2910 out of one, and 2850 out of the other...

I would expect to get 3200+ from a 140 AB with a 7 RM.

That does seem awful slow for a 140gr. Have you shot any other 140gr loads? 160gr? Could be any number of factors but like Buzz says how's the accuracy? Any reason you choose 140gr vs something heavier?

All the Nosler stuff I’ve shot has been zipping right along. Some of it is both listed and actually clocks 100 fps faster than “standard” factory ammo.

When I toured the Nosler factory I seem to remember them saying that they loaded their ammo with their most accurate tested load. If you look at their load data (you can find it on their website) you'll see that the most accurate load for any given cartridge and bullet weight is often not even close to the highest velocities of other tested loads.

I just looked up the most accurate load tested for the 140 grain bullets out of the 7mag, and they listed 62 grains of N165 at just over 2,900 fps. So I guess it makes sense.

It didn't shoot that great, either. Interestingly enough, though, I'm now remembering that it didn't hit the advertised numbers on the Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X load, too! Given enough time to remember it all, I'm now thinking it was just a "slow" barrel from Remington. That would make sense since the .308 ammo that I've chrono'd was within spec, so it's probably not a Nosler ammo problem. The gun has since been re-barreled to a Proof Research barrel with a 1:8.24 twist, and hits the numbers on the Hornady box. I'm willing to bet that it will probably be closer to advertised velocities on the Nosler stuff, too.

I guess I'll try to shoot them with this new Proof barrel and see how they do. I also got some of the new Barnes Vor-TX LR 139gr to try out, too. That will have to be after I punch some tags, however, since it's dialed in with the Hornady 162 ELDX for now.

Anyone else run into slow ammo from Nosler before? I've shot some of the .308 that runs pretty close to stated velocities out of a 26" Remington, but slightly slower (still within reasonable fps, 25+/-) but recently I bought some 140gr Accubond Trophy Grade ammo for a 26"bbl 7mm Rem Mag that wouldn't even break 3000fps with the few shots I took. I was using a Magnetospeed chronograph, and the highest recorded velocity was 2999fps.

I've read the 7mm Rem Mag can be one of the biggest offenders for having "slow" barrels, according to everything I've read online, but I thought 200fps was a bit much.

That's slow for the 7 Mag. I handload 140 accubonds and get 3152 fps at the muzzle with a 24" barrel. Lately I have been getting .6" groups with this combo.

Shooting a .280 Ackley ABLR 150gr box says 2930 I averaged 2960. .5MOA out to 700yds so far
I also shot the Regular AB in 140GR Box says 3140 I got around 3020 and groupings were terrible. 2.5" @ 100

Well, I bought some of the 168 Trophy Grade ABLR ammo, and it clocks right at 2900fps out of my 27" proof barrel. That's going to be my go-to ammo until I can start handloading.

But the 140gr still doesn't get above 3000fps, even in the longer barrel. I wrote their Customer Service an email to see what my options are.

Start handloading.
Plenty of good powders out there.
For me i usually use Alliant. Easy to find and reasonable pricing.
RL23 for 145 and below.
RL26 is your friend for anything heavier.
RL25 gave great velocities but terrible accuracy.

Start handloading.
Plenty of good powders out there.
For me i usually use Alliant. Easy to find and reasonable pricing.
RL23 for 145 and below.
RL26 is your friend for anything heavier.
RL25 gave great velocities but terrible accuracy.

That's my next step--wanted to try RL-23 since it's supposed to be more resistant to changes in temperature. Also wanted to try H1000 and Retumbo with the 168s. If anything, I'll just fire the remainder of the 140s to get 20 more rounds of Nosler brass for when I start to reload.

I did a lot of trials and testing on ABLR on here and those bullets are meant for long range. Do not expect to use them at that velocity at under 3-400 yards and not have them exploding inside a deer. My mule deer at 100 yards with a 140g 6.5 creedmoor looked like I shot it with a grenade.

Have you tried calling Nolser Customer Service? My experience hand loading with a variety of Nosler bullets and loads has shown me that their data is very accurate. I have called them every time I experienced something "weird" and their folks were able to help me solve the problem very quick (i.e. using G7 BC's when I should have been using G1's). Give them a call and see what they can do for you. I think you'll be impressed

I emailed them, and sent pictures of the lot info. He said he was going to look up the lab info for that lot.
Still waiting on a reply of his findings.

UPDATE:
Mike at Nosler said that some of the velocities from that lot were a little slower than advertised, but not to the extent that I was reporting. Regardless, he sent me a replacement box of ammo that arrived yesterday (had to wait on another production run.)

Very impressed with the resolution on this.

I chronoed 140 ballistic tips in 7mm-08 that were 140-150 feet per second slower than advertised. Federal fusion, hornady whitetail matched or exceeded advertised velocities in that rifle. Even the highly pedestrian and looked down upon Remington green box Core-Lokts were acceptably close to advertised velocity.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back