Caribou Gear

Add a turret or buy a new scope?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I think if a person really would like to dial on a turret for range work and still trust it’s repeatability, they better be prepared to spend $1500.

I think if a person really would like to dial on a turret for range work and still trust it’s repeatability, they better be prepared to spend $1500.
Aside from SWFA and the LRHS that's likely about right. I've had a half dozen SWFA SS and all have tracked dead on. Couple thousand rounds at this point all told. I like the LRHS a bit better, but it's about double the price so I sold the one I had.

When you watch your poi jump 20" between shots and the clicks move poi twice what it should, you get a bit Leary. When the repaired scope does it again you move to another brand.

Back in the early 80's when I was at golden eagle, in a meeting with Coleman execs, they stressed, "make darn sure that first time customer has a good experience, and we'll have him for life". Lots of guys on here are life long customers but that scope made sure I wasn't one of them.

Which scope, and what year? Were you using it for regular tactical style shooting? I ask because my impression is that the Leupold system in these hunting scopes is not as robust as a dedicated target turret system. They also weigh a lot less.

To me glass quality on a scope beyond functional clarity is fluff. If it holds zero and tracks properly that's 99.9% of the battle. The more I shoot the more I have found this to be true.

I've had three 3-9's, two 6x, and one 10x. For an all around steel shooter/hunter I prefer the 3-9 HD, it's on both my hunting rifles. Second goes to the fixed 10x, which is much cheaper of course. On Black Friday the 3-9 HD has historically been on sale for $450, the fixed powers have been on sale for $250. I prefer the mil-quad reticle and a mil turret, but that's just preference of course. I have not felt handicapped by magnification of the 3-9 or 10x on steel at 1000+.
I've never put one on anything as light as a Kimber, so a 19oz scope might change the feel, or not...don't know. Mine have been on 7.75-8.5 pound guns (all up).

I think a fixed 10x is a pretty darn cheap way to try out the feature set and style of optic without committing to much. Resale is decent and a pretty low risk investment particularly if you grab one for $250 on Black Friday.

Last edited:
I prefer the mil-quad reticle and a mil turret, but that's just preference of course. I have not felt handicapped by magnification of the 3-9 or 10x on steel at 1000+.
I've never put one on anything as light as a Kimber, so a 19oz scope might change the feel, or not...don't know. Mine have been on 7.75-8.5 pound guns (all up).

I’ll second preference for the mil quad, only because the dial is much easier to read in the field. Hash marks on the MOA turret are a little too close together and tend to confuse my eyes. However, I do appreciate the numbering on the MOA reticle, so maybe it’s a toss-up.

And an 18 oz scope doesn’t throw off a Kimber as much as one might think. I’ve put them on both 84M’s and 8400’s. They do fine on both.

You can throw me in to the pile of those leery of Leupold scopes. I’ve bought 3 CDS scopes and have mounted 2 on rifles thus far. The first one (VX-2) won’t track worth a darn. The second (VX-3) does track, but the custom CDS turret I ordered doesn’t fit tight to the seal and I’m guessing will allow water in.

The older Leupold scopes I have have been great. I think they have QC issues as of late.

What are you going to do with those crappy defective Leupold scopes? mtmuley

Great thing about Leupold scopes is there's always a line of people to buy them. They work fine if you have one that holds zero and you don't want to spin turrets. There are a few rifles I'd put a fixed 6 Leupold on and be happy.

Which scope, and what year? Were you using it for regular tactical style shooting? I ask because my impression is that the Leupold system in these hunting scopes is not as robust as a dedicated target turret system. They also weigh a lot less.

Vx3 probably two or three years ago

Since nobody has mentioned it yet I love my Nightforce NXS and tracking and return to zero are dead on.

To me glass quality on a scope beyond functional clarity is fluff. If it holds zero and tracks properly that's 99.9% of the battle. The more I shoot the more I have found this to be true.

+1. And proper eye relief is a big one for me. Scope eye will make a bad shot out of anyone.

Back