Add a turret or buy a new scope?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Looking for thoughts and opinions here. I currently have a circa 1998 Zeiss 3-9x36 Diavari on my Kimber. I would like to add a turret to the scope, and Kenton Industries lists a price of $135 to retrofit a MOA turret. Would you:

1) Add the Kenton turret OR
2) Sell the Zeiss and buy a Leupold VX-3i CDS OR
3) Buy a different option?

I'd go with #2 or #3 (Nightforce SHV, Bushnell LRHS, or SWFA). Coatings have come a LONG way in 20yrs. Twisting turrets (alot) can lead to more need for warranty work. I'd feel more inclined to do so with a scope designed for that purpose.

My .02 is for #2.
No way I spend money on a 36mm scope and 9x is no even close to what you need if going turret.
The coatings have improved.
Leupold has it figured out for a hunting scope. Save a bit longer and get the vx-5.
No regrets.

Last edited:
I put the Kenton Turret on a Meopta scope and was pleased with both their service and result. Turnaround was about 3 weeks if I remember right.

Hmmm, reading on the internet is enough to make your head explode. I keep reading about issues with tracking reliability in Leupold scopes. Hard to sift the wheat from the chaff on this topic.

JLS, how far are you shooting and with what caliber? I have read good things about Vortex's turret options.

Utah,

It's a 6.5 Man Bun, Kimber Hunter. I want to be able to shoot out to 7-800 yards screwing around and coyote hunting. Big game would be limited to 500 and in.

I'm okay sacrificing some extra weight for reliability. Based on Hornady's ballistic calculator, my target loads (123 Sierra Match King) need 22 MOA of come up at 800 yards. Hunting loads need 9 MOA at 500.

I have the same gun (ahh we are man bun twiners) and went with the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS with a Wind-Plex Reticle. I haven't put a lot of rounds thru the gun yet, but its a pretty sweet system. Its also really light. What is your price range?

Leupold 3-15x44 VX-5
Vortex 3-15x44 PST Gen II

Both are good scopes and they have a great warranty. I own the Vortex and the glass is bright and crisp. The reticle is a fine lined laser etching that doesn't take up lots of area and allows you to precisely place the cross hairs where you need to. The knobs feel solid and the clicks are clean and precise.

I'm not much for calibrated turrets because too many things can cause them to be off and you are paying for something that doesn't do anything different than the original knobs do except that they mark the knob so that it matches the distance. That works well as long as nothing changes but if you change ammo or the weather changes or you change altitude then those knobs will be wrong.

I prefer a good scope with marked knobs and zero stop capability. Once you zero the scope, verified the trajectory on the range, and recorded the drop values you will be able to use the scope at any range accurately. If you change ammo or the environment changes (higher altitude, different weather etc.) you simply re-zero the rifle, verify the trajectory, and record the data again. With a calibrated turret you can do the same thing but your range numbers wont be valid, you will end up adjusting up or down a few clicks off from the marked values on the knobs - it can get pretty confusing.

Not sure what the budget is yet. I've been slow playing this one with the CFO. If I purchased a Leupold, I would simply use an MOA dial. Regardless of the route I go, I am not interested in a calibrated turret. I'll verify the drops and make a dope chart accordingly.

Not sure what the budget is yet. I've been slow playing this one with the CFO. If I purchased a Leupold, I would simply use an MOA dial. Regardless of the route I go, I am not interested in a calibrated turret. I'll verify the drops and make a dope chart accordingly.

Good plan this. mtmuley

Hmmm, reading on the internet is enough to make your head explode. I keep reading about issues with tracking reliability in Leupold scopes. Hard to sift the wheat from the chaff on this topic.

When you watch your poi jump 20" between shots and the clicks move poi twice what it should, you get a bit Leary. When the repaired scope does it again you move to another brand.

Back in the early 80's when I was at golden eagle, in a meeting with Coleman execs, they stressed, "make darn sure that first time customer has a good experience, and we'll have him for life". Lots of guys on here are life long customers but that scope made sure I wasn't one of them.

Last edited:
When you watch your poi jump 20" between shots and the clicks move poi twice what it should, you get a bit Leary. When the repaired scope does it again you move to another brand.

Back in the early 80's when I was at golden eagle, in a meeting with Coleman execs, they stressed, "make darn sure that first time customer has a good experience, and we'll have him for life". Lots of guys on here are life long customers but that scope made sure I wasn't one of them.

And I'm certainly not discounting your experience. I value it, just as I value the experience Buzz and mtmuley have that is entirely counter to yours. It's a balance of risk vs. reward.

And I'm certainly not discounting your experience. I value it, just as I value the experience Buzz and mtmuley have that is entirely counter to yours. It's a balance of risk vs. reward.

And once you are burned, it takes awhile to forget. I will not ever purchase another Vortex product ever. Maybe. After 5 minutes of reflection, no, no more Vortex .mtmuley

Last edited:
The vx5 is a great scope and would be a good choice! If you aren't going to be dialing a lot and will verify you actual click values the Leupold will be fine.
I'm not a fan of the lower end vortex optics at all! Edge clarity is terrible and the eye relief just wasn't right for me.

You can throw me in to the pile of those leery of Leupold scopes. I’ve bought 3 CDS scopes and have mounted 2 on rifles thus far. The first one (VX-2) won’t track worth a darn. The second (VX-3) does track, but the custom CDS turret I ordered doesn’t fit tight to the seal and I’m guessing will allow water in.

The older Leupold scopes I have have been great. I think they have QC issues as of late.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back