Colorado 82/86 DIY

woody-san

Hello All,

A group of friends and I are heading to the unit 82/86 area for 2nd elk rifle. I think only 1 or 2 of us in our group has actually done any Western hunts, I was sorta inspired by Randy's videos saying "you have no excuse for not hunting elk every year." We've been doing a lot of OnX study and settled on this area due to 20% success rates, difficult terrain limiting hunters, and the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness eliminating engines.

Though we have a rough strategy on where we're going to go and what we're going to do via Randy's videos, I still have a couple questions I'd like to try to get answered here. I had been in contact with a local wildlife officer, but when I went to call him last week I was informed that he'd moved on and was no longer able to be contacted.

-OnX gives summer elk concentration areas, will elk still frequent these areas in mid-late October? How much snow does it take to move them lower?

-We'd like to start high and work our way lower if need be. With that in mind we're looking at dropping in at either Hermit Pass or Hayden Pass. This seems like a place a lot of other hunters would go in. Does anyone have a feel for how much pressure these passes receive?

-I saw the previous post about using existing trail heads to get in and then going a ridge or two off the trail to avoid hunters. This is kind of our plan, to use existing trails to go from drainage to drainage, glassing summer concentration areas. Is that a standard MO for success or are we off in our thinking?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

The Sangre de Cristo are no joke! They are steep rugged and surprisingly thick with timber making glassing tough below tree line. With peaks in the 14,000 ft range and the San Luis valley floor being around 8000 I'd make sure to get there a few days early to acclimate to the altitude. I hunted the area a few years ago, and I'll be honest it kicked my ass and I didn't see a whole lot sign. during 2nd season the elk are still going to be high, several of the locals told me that they really don't start to move unless the snows gets around their bellies

I had the same experience as BigJav. Can be tough to glass, tough to see elk and will definitely be tough packing an elk out but it is a beautiful place. I don't know what shape the first timers are but I would definitely take it easy the first few days being there. Google Earth doesn't do the the Sangre de Cristos any justice.

There is also this view that noone brought up from 82.

6tsrRPol.jpg

82 physically ran me into the ground more than any hunt I've ever done. I went there in pretty good shape and left a crushed soul. Visibility was generally poor and the few views you can get require a ton of work. There is quite a no man's land between the high alpine and the road hunters/private land in the valley.

I really doubt you can get up Hermit pass in late October. Hunting pressure was most concentrated north of Hayden pass because you can glass from the valley and the mountain range is fairly shallow on the north end of the unit.

Did Baca Nation Refuge open up to hunting this year?

Wow! I'm blown away by the feedback! Many thanks to everyone! I'm hopful one of us connect, but if we don't it should be a memorable week on the mountain for our first Western hunt.

Wow! I'm blown away by the feedback! Many thanks to everyone! I'm hopful one of us connect, but if we don't it should be a memorable week on the mountain for our first Western hunt.

If you take it all in then you will have a great time, beautiful scenery like none I've ever seen before, But Like I said earlier the unit beat me like government mule and I didn't see a lot of elk, lots of deer but very little elk. One of the locals I ran into used to be a horse packer and he said there was a reason they give this tag over the counter. Good luck out there!

I agree! What support! This is fantastic information. It's so good to see knowledgeable hunters giving sound advice.

719- I thought it was an unwritten rule that you don't blast maps and details like TH names over the internet. Have some respect for the other folks who hunt these areas.

I know most hunters are going to struggle in the Sangres but still, that's a dick move.

It's only a dick move if he knows it's someone else's honey hole. People are free to divulge their own spots in any manner they choose.
What if, unbeknownst to him, it was yours? PMs are a great way to do business.

It doesn't matter if he knows who or how many people hunt there, it should be highly discouraged by the community to post that kind of info on the internet.

GreenGo and Other,

I do apologize if you think I did wrong by posting screenshot of Google Maps which are free and already all over the internet. Also the hunter who initiated this post mentioned he uses OnXMaps; Therefore, I shared some OnXMaps screenshot. Personally I don’t think it was a “dick move” because I did not share an area full of Elk, I clearly stated that we were there last year and we were not successful at all, we did not even saw a single bull in 7 days on that area.

Why I shared map screenshots? Well, not everyone understands the 3D layer of Google Maps. While looking at the satellite view of Google Maps, click your “Ctrl” key and move your mouse around. You will see a whole different world and will be able to E-Scout much better for your area. Also, most hunters are so protective of information regarding those hunting units; I wish someone shared some information regarding my units before. Potentially could have save me tons of time and money while increasing my chances of harvesting something. Lastly, you are right, these screenshots should be shared via a private message, advice taken for future posts.

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

It doesn't matter if he knows who or how many people hunt there, it should be highly discouraged by the community to post that kind of info on the internet.

So you made a HT account to scold a guy who mentioned your unit or spot. You make the issue to be so black and white, I'm sorry the "community" didn't have your back.

The internet is about the free flow of information on a fundamental level which definitely is at odds with discussing certain elements of hunting, or at least disclosing specific spots. That is something a lot of hunting forums wrestle with, but its way more grey than black and white. When people start piling onto others about internet scouting it tends to have an over correcting effect on hunting forums. Eventually people won't offer up information about general conditions and demands in a certain area and a whole forum just become a series of bad inside jokes between the regulars. I did think the whole map post went a little too far, but then I also thought about it more and in fact pictures describing where to go are harder to turn up from a search engine than words or unit numbers.

Restricting hunting information is a huge barrier within the hunting community to new hunters and people trying things well outside of their comfort zone and I don't think its unreasonable to post a certain degree of information. When a guy picks a unit like CO 82 for their first elk hunt its only polite to give them a heads up that it is a very difficult unit both physically and mentally to hunt. To further compound the issue they guy gave out glassing points along the continental divide trail where 95% of the hunters I saw in that unit wouldn't bother to hike if you gave them the coordinates to a 6x6 elk.

Sure, there is a gray area on sharing info over the net, but this example is black and white in my opinion and ought to be called out. In fact, I'm surprised that I'm the first/only one to say so.

I didn't create this account to scold anyone, but I would have. I truly think it is that important. Between GPS, Google earth, forums, articles, podcasts, etc. There is plenty of info out there for people to get started. It's not supposed to be easy. If you want to help new hunters, find someone and take them hunting, don't just go around posting about specific areas on the web.

Ishootdasmallones:
You're right, the area discussed is not very good. Tough terrain and very low population densities, but that is really not the point. Chuckle all you want and go hunt easier areas, you can't handle the Sangres anyway.

Ok I've put my view out there, I hope others will speak out too if they think a line is crossed. If anyone is upset that I wrote "dick move" I'm sorry that I hurt your little feelings.

Lol, It sounds like your the one with hurt little feelings. :rolleyes:

I send people to areas I kill animals every year when they are polite enough about it. It's called not being an asshole, you should try it. It has never once affected my success rates. I think part of the problem is people thinks it's "Their"spot. It isn't, it's public land. If I show up and someone else is in an area I want to be, I move. Adaptability and improvising are key to being successful.

FYI, one of the very first elk hunts I cut my teeth on was in the Sangre De Cristo's, on the NM side. My Brother and I killed two cows and it took three days to get them out. We did just fine.

Back