Creek Crossing

Bowhuntrben

Just wondering what you guys do to cross creeks. Do you have some sort of cover for your boot? Just suck it up and have wet feet? Bring something extra for crossing the creek?

I was thinking of bringing some taller boots this year which I would stash by the creek, but just wondering for future trips where I might be deeper in and not wanting to carry those boots. In the past I've used crocs, but that was super cold. Probably would've helped if I had neoprene socks on with them.

Dad and I used to hunt a few places around here that we had to cross creeks to get to. We used to take a couple of those heavy duty 45 gallon can liners. It works pretty good around here in gravel or mud bottom creeks. I don't know that it would work very well with all those moss covered stone creeks out west. Might be a little slippery. Just use them to get across, stash them somewhere on the other side for when you come back through.

I have Schnee's beartooth boots and gaiters and can make it across small calf high (12 inch) creeks without getting my socks wet. Should be able to do the same thing with Kenetrek, Lowa, LaSportiva, etc. If it's deeper than that I take my boots off and wade in my socks (better traction) and then I swap out for a dry pair of socks on the other side.

Anything deeper than mid thigh starts to get sketchy, especially with a current, and I start using rope to ferry gear or I bring a pack raft.

Lace up boots tight, chinch down gaiters and put on rain pants, and go fast. Once out, elevate feet to keep water from draining into your boots.

If it's just a crossing or two and not too many miles in I'll bring shoes for crossing and stash them. Otherwise I just do like above, get the heck across and deal with it. Some approaches might have 15-20 crossings working up a drainage, you'd spend all day messing with stuff to keep all dry. At some point you just gotta get from A-B.

ive learned if you wear wool socks your feet will dry out as the day goes on. besides its safer and warmer to cross with boots on. especially high mountain streams are so cold they feel like needles in your feet! leave boots and socks on i say. carry extra socks if you really want.

Last year up in the Tetons I crossed a river via bare foot in November. Just took off boots and socks as well as britches, yea it took my breath away when I first got into the water but I just chugged through. Couldn't feel my feet and the rocks were sticking to the bottom of my foot, but I just dried them off and put my dry socks on and stuffed a hand warmer in my boot and away I went. As long as you have a little towel and extra hand warmers, dry boots and socks are worth those few minutes of tender footed whimpers as you cross.

What kind of creek are we talking here would probably play into my choice in your situation. Wide, shallow creek, I'd just walk it with my boots on (but I wear Kenetreks so it takes a lot of water to soak them through) but a deeper crossing would probably warrant the suggestions above of stripping down and carefully and quickly chugging through. I guess I am just talking out my butt because I've never actually had to cross something that deep, all of the creek crossings I've done are pretty narrow and shallow so I just walk through or jump it.

Like Richard Pryor in "The Toy"!
[video=youtube_share;bE8amlC2rR4]https://youtu.be/bE8amlC2rR4[/video]

Get a pair of Wiggy's Waders. They are pretty lightweight for carrying and get the job done. They aren't super durable, so you don't want to hike or fish in them all day, but they work great for quick crossings.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back