Water Filter Maintenance (?)

windymtnman

Saw a related water filter post, and it made me wonder about if others do what I do with my Katedyn water filter? I have a cylinder model with a hand pump. You can unscrew the top of the cylinder and remove the filter pretty easily. NO matter how much to try to drain all the water from the filter after use, there's going to be residual water trapped inside it.
Everytime I've used my filter, I later get to thinking about how long it might be until I have occasion to use it again. I imagine water trapped in the filter, and then bacteria and other nasty stuff growing inside the filter and cylinder it's in. So, while it's a bit of a pain, I remove the filter, gently clean it, sometimes using a mild bleach solution, and then let it completely air dry before re-assembling.
Am I the only one, or are others doing some preventative maintenance on their filters too?

I have the Katadyn Hiker model. I open the top and let it dry out after every trip in the field, and I replace the filter cartridge every two years regardless of how much I used it. I forget how many gallons the cartridge is supposedly good for, but I don't think I ever get close to the recommended limit. I had giardia once and I try to minimize the chance of having it again.

windymtnman, I do the exact same as you. Those who don't are risking other types of bacteria building in the filter. I do the backflush and bleach treatment with my sawyer filters and have had no problems for years.

Saw a related water filter post, and it made me wonder about if others do what I do with my Katedyn water filter? I have a cylinder model with a hand pump. You can unscrew the top of the cylinder and remove the filter pretty easily. NO matter how much to try to drain all the water from the filter after use, there's going to be residual water trapped inside it.
Everytime I've used my filter, I later get to thinking about how long it might be until I have occasion to use it again. I imagine water trapped in the filter, and then bacteria and other nasty stuff growing inside the filter and cylinder it's in. So, while it's a bit of a pain, I remove the filter, gently clean it, sometimes using a mild bleach solution, and then let it completely air dry before re-assembling.
Am I the only one, or are others doing some preventative maintenance on their filters too?

Yup, I have the same one. I never really am able to get the "funk"out of it. This is part of the reason I have the sawyer mini now. I buy one in the spring and use it through the summer and fall, and then throw it away. Works good so far.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back