Utah CWMU's Blocking off Public BLM Land

Christensen_03

I recently purchase On X Maps and I've been blown away by what I wish I would have known for years. One thing I've noticed is there are many CWMU's that include BLM ground. A lot of this BLM ground is accessible by open county roads in Box Elder County (they can't claim their private land surrounds the BLM).

My questions are:
  1. Can the state legally allow a private ranch to block public hunting on BLM ground that is publically accessible?
  2. Does anyone know if there are court cases setting any precedence on the legality of this?
  3. Does anyone know of similar situations where the public ground was reclaimed from a CWMU or a private ranch?

I think this had been discussed here before along with Colorado's ranching for wildlife program that also restricts access to some public. You should be able to search for it and dig it up.

Answers as best as I know them having discussed this with DNR/BLM years ago:
1. Yes. CWMUs are hunting units of which the state is charged with setting the boundaries for. The ranch isn't blocking anything.
2. No as I don't think it would go anywhere due to the state being tasked with wildlife/hunting management. They are responsible for boundary and season settings.
3. No.

The BLM that is legally accessible and can be hunted, just for species not covered by the CWMU. I'd guess in Box Elder, the CWMU is for deer and possibly elk. All other critters can be hunted on those accessible BLM lands. For instance, if the CWMU is for deer, you could hunt elk, pronghorn, etc on those lands without having a CWMU permit.

PS- This is not only an issue in Box Elder County.

"They could apply to put lands in CWMU, but we have a rule that only private land can be in CWMU. Trust land is somewhere between public and private land."

Guessing Mr. Styler would rethink that statement if the subject was broached from a different angle.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back