Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Hunt in2018

LevNuts

So me and a buddy are starting to attempt to go hunt in every state and want to start in Idaho. Never been there and the wilderness looks amazing. I am starting to do research now but from just looking at a map I like the way unit 27 looks. Anyone have and advice they would like to share with hunting Idaho.

I currently hunt Colorado, Kansas, NJ, and Wyoming.

Thanks all!

27 is steeper than it looks on either a topo or an aerial photo. It's amazing country, but tough both physically and mentally. IME, there are better and easier places to hunt mule deer and elk if either of those are what you are considering.

If you have interest in Unit 4, let me know I may be able to provide some good information as I have tagged out there and am looking to move locations for new scenery.

I am good with going pretty much anywhere that I can get into deer and elk. I really don't even care if I don't harvest anything this is more about the adventure. I truly love the idea of hunting the Bighorn Crags as mentioned above. After some research I see you fella's have talked about it on here before" https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?206726-bighorn-crags-idaho ". If anyone has any further advice they are willing to give on that area I'd appreciate it.

Now to get in better shape!

If you're looking at 27, you'd better look at success rates, also check to see if there are a lot of NR hunters in the unit...

I thought IDFG was cutting NR tags to around 50 in the 27 late hunt going forward.

I haven't been back to that country for years, but in my book it ranks as the toughest hunting I've ever had. Physically, it's brutal, mentally it's tough.

I would not hunt elk in there. Just too much animal to bring out. Deer/wolf combo looks the most doable since I'm ineligible for sheep and goat....yes, I want to give it one more go before my knees get too rickety.

Not sure about the NR tags thing, still trying to figure out all the rules of Idaho and such. The nice thing for me is the DAV tags are fairly cheap. but might need to figure out a better area to get into, Thinking of using the spring bear hunt as a time to scout and hopefully get some chow also

The NR quota change would only apply to the November deer hunts. You could hunt the general season. I’ve done several trips into the Frank for sheep and deer/elk. I wouldn’t bother elk hunting there unless is just a bonus tag to a deer hunt. I’ve killed elk in the Frank but it’s not good elk country. My experience is that the last week of October the deer start showing for the rut or migration. I’ve gone from seeing a few deer (or no deer) a day in the third week of October to seeing 30 to 50 a day in a week’s time. I’ve seen good bucks but the trophy quality is limited. You won’t see the monsters other units hold. If I were to do it, I’d pick an airstrip to fly into and either setup camp at the strip or do a backpack hunt. You’ll have fun and experience time in a great place in the world.

That sounds good to me. I don't care about killing trophy's, a 3x3 Muley is my personal greatest hunting trophy because of the memories associated with him. I will start looking at the airstrips and cost to try and set it up. Thanks!

How is the black bear population in Unit 27/28? considering a spring bear hunt in either of those.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back