Yeti GOBOX Collection

Best 2-Way Radios For Hunting

SDS14

Hey guys,
I am currently looking for a good pair of 2 way radios for hunting. I hunt mostly the mountains of Utah and my radios I have currently did not perform well. They are old and can't hold a charge, I am considering replacing the batteries or buy something new. I am curious to hear what you guys and gals use in the field. I want something that has the best range and clarity for hunting in mountains(I know there are a lot of variable to consider).

My question is what brand do you use? What is an estimated range for hunting mountains dense wooded areas? What should I look for in a good 2 way radio?

Thanks for your help.
-SDS14

I'm curious to hear other's feedback on this as well. Does anyone use a HAM radio vs a normal walkie talkies or FRS/GMRS radios?

I use a ham. NM has fantastic repeater networks. You can literally talk from any where to anywhere in the state. Use to even have a statewide phone patch.

APRS allows me to send and receive email/txt messages. It’s cumbersome but very handy.

As for the walkie talkies, Id recommend a pair of the ham-capable radios if you know how to use them. They have more power, better batteries, etc. You need a license to transmit on them in the ham band.

Otherwise, I have used midlands and Motorola’s FRS and GMRS. They are ok. But don’t believe the marketed range unless you are using line of sight distances. Terrain can significantly reduce communications.

Also, hunting w them is not always legal in all states if used to aid in taking game.

Friend had these this year and they worked good on our WY lope trip.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1...pID=41XbIQv63VL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have those exact Midland radios and they work great even in mountainous terrain. The on/off is the short knob left of the antennae and you twist it to turn the radio on. My old radios had an on/off button on the front that would regularly get pushed on while in my pack and the battery would die. I've never had any such problem with the Midland and as a plus they were pretty budget. I've had them for about 4 or 5 years now and the rechargeable batteries still work great as well.

Last edited:
Two-way electronic communication (radios, cell
phones, text messages, etc.) may not be used to:
- hunt game animals or upland game birds,
The rule does not prohibit the possession or use
of two-way communication for safety or other
legitimate purposes.
Wast
The quote is from the Montana Hunting Regulations. Perhaps the op has misnamed this thread. Although difficult to enforce and apparently open to LE interpretation when questioning the widespread use of two-way radios, nonetheless IMO the use of those devices falls into the same category as aerial spotting and other unethical hunting practices. Point is: if hunting Montana be careful how you use your communication devices.

I have several brands of radios. It seems that we always migrate back to the Motorola’s. They make some fantastic radios and some that are even waterproof now. A good pair can be purchased for less than $100. With the Motorola’s you can whisper while talking with exceptional clarity and volume as compared to others. Also, if the listener has their radio up to their ear, there is no loud “click” or squelch that hurts the ear. Most can also be programmed to turn off transmission beeps etc... As with other radios ear pieces and the like usually come with them. We also like the versatility of changing out the rechargeable batteries when the type of hunt dictates it. Good luck!!

The quote is from the Montana Hunting Regulations. Perhaps the op has misnamed this thread. Although difficult to enforce and apparently open to LE interpretation when questioning the widespread use of two-way radios, nonetheless IMO the use of those devices falls into the same category as aerial spotting and other unethical hunting practices. Point is: if hunting Montana be careful how you use your communication devices.

I think most everyone knew the OP meant he was looking for radios to use while hunting. Nowhere did he say he wanted them so someone could direct him to game over the radio.

I think most everyone knew the OP meant he was looking for radios to use while hunting. Nowhere did he say he wanted them so someone could direct him to game over the radio.

Use while hunting can easily mean direct to game, but whatever.

Honest question, who uses these? I have never and will never use them so not sure what the benefit really is. maybe I should start another thread?

I have a couple of old Garmin Rino GPS radios. I use the GPS functions far more than the radio, but the radio part has come in handy many times. I usually hunt with my brother or sons, but we usually spread out to different areas. The radios have been nice to get back together if someone shoots something or just to let them know you're headed back to camp/truck, etc. The Rino is a great concept, radio and GPS in one unit. However, unless the newer ones have significantly improved the radio (hopefully they have), the radio pales in comparison to the Motorola or Midland radios.

We had good luck with the Midland Radios. Where we are is heavily wooded and hills. I'm surprised at the effectiveness within a mile or two in the heavy woods.
The only time the radio is used is if I get an elk (I hunt alone) Then, I radio the wife and tell her to bring the horses and beer. Or she radios me and tells me something is broken or on fire back at the ranch.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back