Model 94

Gunner46

Went to the local Wally World yesterday and decided to just cruise the sporting goods for no reason other than see what I didn't already have and don't need. They had a Mdl 94 30/30 for $345. Made me think Huuuuummmm......

I don't need one, I can't hunt with it here in Ohio, except of maybe a phantom pig, or Yote. Hell, I don't even like the 30/30 all that much, even though I dropped two whitetails, inside of an hour, with one shot each, from a rifle I borrowed on a spur of the moment hunt at a buddy's farm.

It's not going to fill a niche I don't already have covered and will in all honestly be relegated to the back of the safe, and just be lent out, whenever.

Yet, why am I still thinking about going back and Ka-Chinging my debit card ?

Every body should own a 30-30 classic American deer round. I seldom use mine but it's like the wilderness I just take comfort knowing it's there.:hump:

A Winchester? Seems too cheap to me. The Winchester website lists the MSRP of the new 94's at over $1000. I'd be a bit leary. That being said...you can certainly find a classic used Winchester 30-30 in the $300-$400 range

Thats just a gun thats plain fun to shoot. I had a sadle ring carbine with a big loop. Made me feel like Rooster Cogburne. Wish I hadn't sold it. You'll never lose any money on it at that price. Leverevolution ammo give you some extra reach as well. I think they'd be fun to have a reflex sight on.

Hope that you don't mind me adding this photo.

My dad told me that he purchased this model 94 from a cowboy when my dad was stationed in Fort Collins, Colorado. He was in the army in 1946 before being discharged. It was the first rifle that my dad let me use.

In 1990 my dad passed away suddenly from a massive heart attack. I told my brothers and sister that the only "item" that I wanted from my dad's estate was the "model 94, 30-30", they could have everything else. Lots of great memories.

attachment.php

good luck to all
the dog

I should also add that I suggest looking for a used 94 or JM stamped Marlin over a new Remlin. I'm in the middle of a nightmare trying to get my gun back after sending it back for repairs on a canted rear sight.

I love lever guns. My brothers and I carried a Winchester model 64 in 30-30 when we started hunting deer. I really want to shoot a muley buck with my dad's Savage model 99 in .300 savage, one day.

I just put my old Win 94 30-30 back .in the hunt truck. Taken many deer & pigs, etc with it over the years. My go to back up gun.
Do wish I still had the 1st one I had.Got it in Butte Woolworths for $50 in 75. Oct. barrel ,nickle,ring.Traded it for a 8mm Mauser.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back