PEAX Equipment

Louisiana Squirrel Opener

JTHOMP

A few years ago when I first got into bow hunting for deer I was so dedicated to getting that kill that I put all other hunting to the side. Bow hunting and public land were new to me and I had little to no success. After two seasons of that I was burned out, and the next year I decided to get back to basics and mix up the hunting season. Looking back it was a great decision, and from now on I'll be chasing squirrels the first weekend of October. While not only trying to kill squirrels, I also use it as a time to scout for deer.

This year I had my girlfriend with me, and it was her first time squirrel hunting. Have to admit that it was as much a learning experience for me as it was for her. Past experiences of squirrel hunting with someone was my buddy going one way, I go the other, and we'll meet back at the decided time. Even when I was younger, most hunts I remember my dad would drop me off at a tree and then come back and pick me up when it was done. It was difficult for me to explain to her where shes needs to slip to get a shot on a squirrel, if she needs to get there quick or slow, or why she shouldn't shuffle her feet on the ground when I'm trying to listen to one cutting an acorn but cant tell where its coming from.....
About half way through the hunt I could tell she was getting aggravated but we were "ok" by the end of it. We've since talked about it and she still wants to go. Hopefully next time with more patience and explaining before and during the hunt we'll get it right. Also think it would be better if I didn't bring a gun and let her do her thing.

The squirrels where moving really good Saturday morning, but with the hot weather they shut down around 0800. Fortunately we were able to pick up a few stragglers later in the morning and finished with 9. I shot and hunted terribly with 3 misses and multiple others that we couldn't close the distance on. Of the 9, she killed 3 and missed one. I was impressed to see that of the 4 shots, 2 of those were squirrels that she found on her own without me pointing out. One great thing about the hunt was I found one spot with some really good deer sign full of rubs and scrapes, and a well used trail. Looking forward to getting in there and hunting it when we get some cooler weather.

Sunday she already had plans with her friends so I went by myself (probably the best for both of us lol). I hunted a different area than Saturday. Don't know if it was because of the area or what but the activity was much less than the day before. Luckily I had my limit by 0810, killing 8 of 8 squirrels I saw. I hunted and shot much better than the day before and was pleased with the results.

Attachments

• Olivia's first squirrel.jpg
    Olivia's first squirrel.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Cross Bayou.jpg
    Cross Bayou.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Boat Pic.jpg
    Boat Pic.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Gun Pic.jpg
    Gun Pic.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Nice hunt. Go with someone with a squirrel dog. You'll have the time of your life.

And put a ring on it. You're not going to do any better.

Nice hunt. Go with someone with a squirrel dog. You'll have the time of your life.

And put a ring on it. You're not going to do any better.

Never squirrel hunted with a dog before, I got a buddy with some dogs I'm trying to get to come late season when the leaves drop.

Way cool!! I don't spend as much time as I'd like hunting squirrels and that's much different than the type of country we hunt squirrels in. Super!

Never hunted squirrels in hip waders before. Can you shoot them from the boat?

What do they taste like and how do you cook them?

Live in the middle of pecan groves and have all around me. Never thought about shooting one.

There is a larger species in SW New Mexico that is hunted.

This is on an island on south west Louisiana so access is only by boat. The northern part has higher ground and if the river is low you can walk in tennie shoes when its dry. Southern part is lower and has more swamp. Much of it is a mixture of ridges and sloughs and the hip boots are handy for crossing the sloughs or when you have to wade off into the swamp.

For legally shooting from the boat, it can't be propelled by any motor nor can any motor be in an "operating position". Also can't have a loaded gun while motoring since it is a WMA. Other states may be different.

I grew up eating them fried but now eat them in a gravy and occasionally in a gumbo. The taste is similar to a rabbit, but they are tougher so have to cook them a little longer. Many do but I don't bother keeping the ribs or the top of the back because of the bones and the dead space it takes up in a pot. I will cut out the top back muscles and side rib meat for the sake of not being wasteful and cut it so it is attached to the front quarters. Quarter back legs and cut the lower back where it meets the ribs and you're ready to cook. If you cook them too long where the meat falls apart in the pot you will have a lot of bones to pick through while eating so keep an eye on it while it's cooking down.
If I were you I would have a field day in that pecan grove!

What do they taste like and how do you cook them?

Live in the middle of pecan groves and have all around me. Never thought about shooting one.

There is a larger species in SW New Mexico that is hunted.
IMO, squirrels have better flavor than a rabbit, but are tougher. Heck, I'd be tough too if I did pullups all day! I say you should get after them. I'd be interested to know which species you have there.

1-pointer.

I think the fox squirrel inhabits Chaves county. I do not think they are hunted much.

There are 4 species in New Mexico (gray, red and Aberts are the others).

I believe the gray is hunted in the GILA.

Usually have them fried and then put into the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup mixture. I think my grandma used to use a pressure cooker and then fry.

1-pointer.

I think the fox squirrel inhabits Chaves county. I do not think they are hunted much.

There are 4 species in New Mexico (gray, red and Aberts are the others).

I believe the gray is hunted in the GILA.
Thanks for that info! A pard and I are planning on getting the "squirrel slam". Seriously. :D

It is always interesting to see what other folks do in other parts of the country. I have never considered eating a squirrel. It seems a good reason to get out of the house and spend quality time outdoors with friends and family. Thanks for posting the story and pictures.

You all have many fox squirrels down there? They seemed to be easier hunt for me in East Texas. Those cat squirrels are tasty though.
My friends here think the idea of eating squirrels is weird, they don't know what they're missing.
Those pecan orchard squirrels will be excellent eating.

I am the last person to ask about squirrel hunting, complete novice.

Few years back, a good friend and coworker took a week off to hunt squirrels in the Gila (200 plus miles through the Black hill mountain range). He had fun.

This is also the same guy who drove the distance to gig bullfrogs in the Gila at some small lake.

If he hadn't done it, he wanted to do it. Always hunted hard.

That does not mean that there are enough animals to make a sufficient population.

Those pecan orchard squirrels are on private posted land and have never allowed hunting. The owners would prefer to call NMG&F to spotlight deer at night to remove them from the orchards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back