Pronghorn ribs and strap on the smoker

wytex

Pronghorn ribs and backstrap on the smoker this morning. Tenders on the grill last night were great. I "brined" them with a pecan smoked seas salt rub yesterday and seasoned them with Head Country Sweet and Spicy rub. Post oak wood for the smoking. I make my own smoked sea salt.

DSCN1067 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
I'd be very interested in hearing how the ribs are! Do you find the fat to be similar to deer (tallow)?

Well it all was great!! The ribs were surprisingly good. No fat on them and just enough meat to make them worthwhile. We will be keeping all of the doe ribs after this.
They had about 2 hrs in the oven at 190 while we went for a beverage downtown, and were very tender and great flavor. Strap always speaks for itself, we took some strap downtown to share with our friends at the bar and everyone had the comment "this is antelope" ? They all loved it.

Nope, I rubbed them down with smoked sea salt the day before and then seasoned them with Head Country Sweet and Spicy on ribs and a steak seasoning mix on the backstrap the morning of the smoking.
I don't go heavy on the seas salt rub but it helps with flavor and juiciness of the finished meat. I like to give it time to penetrate the meat not just right before it hits the grill or smoker. I've read of both methods for salting.

ok was just curious. might try that on a buck this year if i find one big enough to kill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back