Water - how do you carry it?

Seems like a simple enough question but I'm sort of at a loss. I've been using a Camelback and recently had one rupture inside my pack soaking everything (and leaving me without water). I've been thinking of carrying a MSR Dromedary but it just seems clunky and hard to refill a Nalgene.

How do you pros do it? Any tips/tricks is helpful!

I use a stainless bottle, 32 oz. Katydin hiker filtration pump for refill. If there's not much water around I'll carry a half gallon.

I carry a bladder during bow seasons, but I switch to Nalgene bottles during colder hunts. I would highly recommend MSR or Platypus if you are going to use a Bladder. Camelback seems to have a ton of defects. I had one break during a hunt and I immediately switched to Platypus.

I have been through too many bladders, to do that anymore. I use 2 Nalgenes (one straight water and the other with some type of electrolyte replacement). If it is really hot a collapsible Platypus bottle in my pack for a backup, and if it is cold I may drop to just one Nalgene.

Two 1.5L smart water bottles work pretty well. This past elk season I also took along a 10L Dromedary bag that I had plumbed a valve onto for camp water. So when I went to filter water I did 13L at a time, then went a couple days without having to filter. Works well if you're in one spot.

Bladder vs bottles I much prefer bottles.

I'm more of a bladder guy. I usually have a 3L Camelback and then a 4L Dromedary that I tuck in if it's a ways between water sources.

Bladder here as well. I try to be pretty careful with them, but (knock on wood) I haven't too many bad experiences. I do need to update mine. I personally dont like the sound of sloshing water and I am trying to sneak through the woods, so I try to stay away from bottles.

Warmer hunts: Camelback 70 ounce bladder & a water bottle w/ filter.

Colder hunts: Yeti & hydroflask vacuum sealed bottles. Keeps warm stuff warm for a long time.

I have a 1.5lt MSR & 2 -3lt Kevlar bags I got from Kenetrek.The Kenetrek bags are bomb proof,but can freeze up a bit at nozzle if you don't clear it out. The bag will if left out overnight. That & a MSR filter,unless I'm in camp.Then it's milk jugs filled with well water.

I've used a 3L Camelbak military grade bladder (currently marketed as the Antidote) for almost 8 years without any problem at all. I don't like the standard civilian ones, they don't feel like they are tough enough for long term use in the sticks. I also like the water tube, how it attaches, and the bite valve better on the military grade bladder.

Last edited:
I've pretty much changed it up on every hunt. This next hunt I'm going to carry a nalgene and a 4 liter MSR dromedary. I won't fill it up all the way, however.

I carry a 1.5L nalgene and a 1.5L Kleen Kanteen. I've never had one leak and the stainless kleen Kanteen doubles as an emergency "kettle" if I need to heat water over a fire once the cap is removed. I also have cocoons for both for cold weather, bladders and hoses freeze too easily. I've also had a bladder fail and ruin my day, never again. Bladders are easy, but I've spotted a surprising amount of game by forcing myself to stop and get a drink of water.

Last edited:
I've always use a 3 liter longneck beast camelbak bladder for quite a few years now. This year's elk hunt i was far enough from water at times and temps in the 90's that i would load up with an extra 8 liters using platypus gravity filter bags in addition to my regular 3 when i came across water at times. Sucks to carry but sucks less than being out of water.

Never had a bladder break. Lucky I guess. If you don’t want the tube to freeze drain it by raising it above your head and squeezing the bite piece.

Water sloshing in bottles is too noisy for me.

I carry a bladder during bow seasons, but I switch to Nalgene bottles during colder hunts. I would highly recommend MSR or Platypus if you are going to use a Bladder. Camelback seems to have a ton of defects. I had one break during a hunt and I immediately switched to Platypus.

Get one of these and you won't have to worry about it breaking. I have had mine for probably 4-5 years and put it through hell and it's still going strong. Cold weather, a bottle of any kind is probably a little better. I like just plastic bottles from the store that you can squeeze down so it doesn't make noise.

I've never had a bladder break either but the line freezes when it's cold, and I find the a little awkward to refill when filtering water out of a spring. I use one sometimes during bow season with my fanny pack, but only on day trips.

Switched to nalgene bottles after getting a uv pen. Works great for me. Easier to clean than a bladder too. Left a few bladders moist and sealed up a few times. Trash after that. Couldn't get the smell/taste out.

Platypus 3L big mouth and a 2 L Platypus bottle. They compress as you drink from them so no slosh noise. They are tough and will not fail. I have used the collapsible bottle for years and it still works. Katadyn Hiker water filter pump and aqua tablets for emergency use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back