Yeti GOBOX Collection

Water - how do you carry it?

Seems like a simple enough question but I'm sort of at a loss. I've been using a Camelback and recently had one rupture inside my pack soaking everything (and leaving me without water). I've been thinking of carrying a MSR Dromedary but it just seems clunky and hard to refill a Nalgene.

How do you pros do it? Any tips/tricks is helpful!

I use a stainless bottle, 32 oz. Katydin hiker filtration pump for refill. If there's not much water around I'll carry a half gallon.

I carry a bladder during bow seasons, but I switch to Nalgene bottles during colder hunts. I would highly recommend MSR or Platypus if you are going to use a Bladder. Camelback seems to have a ton of defects. I had one break during a hunt and I immediately switched to Platypus.

I have been through too many bladders, to do that anymore. I use 2 Nalgenes (one straight water and the other with some type of electrolyte replacement). If it is really hot a collapsible Platypus bottle in my pack for a backup, and if it is cold I may drop to just one Nalgene.

Two 1.5L smart water bottles work pretty well. This past elk season I also took along a 10L Dromedary bag that I had plumbed a valve onto for camp water. So when I went to filter water I did 13L at a time, then went a couple days without having to filter. Works well if you're in one spot.

Bladder vs bottles I much prefer bottles.

I'm more of a bladder guy. I usually have a 3L Camelback and then a 4L Dromedary that I tuck in if it's a ways between water sources.

Bladder here as well. I try to be pretty careful with them, but (knock on wood) I haven't too many bad experiences. I do need to update mine. I personally dont like the sound of sloshing water and I am trying to sneak through the woods, so I try to stay away from bottles.

Warmer hunts: Camelback 70 ounce bladder & a water bottle w/ filter.

Colder hunts: Yeti & hydroflask vacuum sealed bottles. Keeps warm stuff warm for a long time.

I have a 1.5lt MSR & 2 -3lt Kevlar bags I got from Kenetrek.The Kenetrek bags are bomb proof,but can freeze up a bit at nozzle if you don't clear it out. The bag will if left out overnight. That & a MSR filter,unless I'm in camp.Then it's milk jugs filled with well water.

I've used a 3L Camelbak military grade bladder (currently marketed as the Antidote) for almost 8 years without any problem at all. I don't like the standard civilian ones, they don't feel like they are tough enough for long term use in the sticks. I also like the water tube, how it attaches, and the bite valve better on the military grade bladder.

Last edited:
I've pretty much changed it up on every hunt. This next hunt I'm going to carry a nalgene and a 4 liter MSR dromedary. I won't fill it up all the way, however.

I carry a 1.5L nalgene and a 1.5L Kleen Kanteen. I've never had one leak and the stainless kleen Kanteen doubles as an emergency "kettle" if I need to heat water over a fire once the cap is removed. I also have cocoons for both for cold weather, bladders and hoses freeze too easily. I've also had a bladder fail and ruin my day, never again. Bladders are easy, but I've spotted a surprising amount of game by forcing myself to stop and get a drink of water.

Last edited:
I've always use a 3 liter longneck beast camelbak bladder for quite a few years now. This year's elk hunt i was far enough from water at times and temps in the 90's that i would load up with an extra 8 liters using platypus gravity filter bags in addition to my regular 3 when i came across water at times. Sucks to carry but sucks less than being out of water.

Never had a bladder break. Lucky I guess. If you don’t want the tube to freeze drain it by raising it above your head and squeezing the bite piece.

Water sloshing in bottles is too noisy for me.

I carry a bladder during bow seasons, but I switch to Nalgene bottles during colder hunts. I would highly recommend MSR or Platypus if you are going to use a Bladder. Camelback seems to have a ton of defects. I had one break during a hunt and I immediately switched to Platypus.

Get one of these and you won't have to worry about it breaking. I have had mine for probably 4-5 years and put it through hell and it's still going strong. Cold weather, a bottle of any kind is probably a little better. I like just plastic bottles from the store that you can squeeze down so it doesn't make noise.

I've never had a bladder break either but the line freezes when it's cold, and I find the a little awkward to refill when filtering water out of a spring. I use one sometimes during bow season with my fanny pack, but only on day trips.

Switched to nalgene bottles after getting a uv pen. Works great for me. Easier to clean than a bladder too. Left a few bladders moist and sealed up a few times. Trash after that. Couldn't get the smell/taste out.

Platypus 3L big mouth and a 2 L Platypus bottle. They compress as you drink from them so no slosh noise. They are tough and will not fail. I have used the collapsible bottle for years and it still works. Katadyn Hiker water filter pump and aqua tablets for emergency use.

Back