Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

SteriPen? What do you guys think?

scotttgill

I have been hearing about the SteriPen in purifying water in the backcountry. I was wondering if any of you have used one and if it's worth spending the money? Thanks.

I used one a few times this summer while camping but really put it to use for 14 days in Alaska. It worked great and the pre filter came in handy due to some vegetation in the lake we were on that plugged a Katadyn gravity filter in less than two days. Due to its small size and light weight the SteriPen will be my primary water purifier on backpack hunts going forward.

I bought one and use it when we backpack into the back country. The water we use the steripen on is "clean" and does not require filtration of any suspended solids that a filter would probably be of better use. We have not had any issues. So, if the water is "clear" ... I would recommend it.

I do have to admit, that I think highly of the filtration "bags" that Randy has in his Bag Dump segments is probably a better way to go. You can filter a larger quantity of water quicker.

Filters can be good for bacteria and Protozoa (crypto/beaver fever etc), but nearly all non iodizing filters won't do anything to viruses in the water. Steripen makes the claim to eliminate 99.99% of bacteria, Protozoa, AND virus.

I ask myself "what would Jim Bridger do?" Sometimes I wonder if all of this is really necessary. That said... lightweight + not getting sick = me winning.

Call me a pessimist but I carry a katadyne hiker and a steripen. No bigger than they are and no more than they cost why not? Bloody diarrhea just isn't my thing. Jim Bridger would've used one if he could've.

Biggest benefit they have is they work in freezing temps. Sawyers should never freeze as the straws in the inside will stop working properly after they freeze (cracking, etc.).

I am a Steripen fan. Save you weight and hassle. Two "ifs". You gotta have batteries and your water sources must be clear.

I have one and I love it. So fast and easy. I have heard that they don't work well in cloudy water but I've never tried it in anything but a clear stream. The downside of course is that it takes batteries so that could leave you in a bad situation if you're not careful about making sure your batteries are fresh. I have heard of some people having problems with them, but I've had mine for 3-4 years now and it still works fine. Honestly I have never used any filters, but everything I read about them seems like a pain in the butt.

I've used a steripen classic for a couple of years now. No complaints. I also carry aquamira droplets as a backup.

I think it depends on where you hunt and your equipment set up. Personally I don't carry wide mouth bottles, just 2 bladders, and therefore can't use a steripen without having to switch up my setup and carry more gear. Also the unit I have been hunting the last couple of years has limited water so I typically am packing down the mountain every couple of days to a creek and loading up with 10+ liters at a time and it would be a bit of a pain to do that with a steripen.

The way I understand how they work is changing the DNA of the bacteria and viruses rendering them unable to reproduce. So they are still in the water just not viable anymore. For the light weight and convince they seem pretty cool

Call me a pessimist but I carry a katadyne hiker and a steripen. No bigger than they are and no more than they cost why not? Bloody diarrhea just isn't my thing. Jim Bridger would've used one if he could've.

Yes! I've had a steripen fail more than work on Alaska sheep hunts as glacial water is not crystal clear.

My favorite is a Katadyn base camp gravity filter...

I drank more unsterilized water when I used a steripen then ever before or since. I admit I wasn't good about taking the batteries out when I got home, but I had a brand new one fail on me just for being packed 7 miles - drank alpine lake water for 3 days (didn't get sick, though). Another time the batteries were dead when I reached my destinations - drank unpurified spiring water. Then before this past bow season, I was changing the batteries and it fried for some reason - it didn't work, I removed the battery pack and smoke was curling out of it. Done. I'm back to a katadyn hiker pro now. Those things are reliable.

I know some guys that really swear by the steripen; that just wasn't my experience.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back