Sw mt wolf hunting

SLIVERSTICK406

Hey everyone, I am sure most here are on the same page when it comes to wolf hunting. I have been in the Dillon area a couple years now and have been fortunate enough to harvest a few elk along the way. That being said, amongst my adventures I have come across wolf tracks in the blacktail mountain range as well as areas in the snow crest range. Not a lot of sign but a few tracks here and there. I know wolves move a lot but just curious as to what areas may be good to locate some as well as tips for hunting these animals.

thanks.

I've never seen one yet, but find either single tracks or multiple tracks in the areas I elk hunt to the west of Dillon. I've tried rabbit squealing on a elk reed when I found a fresh set of wolf tracks the past couple years but none have every came to the call. I buy a wolf tag every year in hopes of seeing one, and I think its just a matter of time before you can call or see a wolf that allows a shot. I've heard areas of the Big Hole in the late winter are good.

Just got elk hunting unit 330 and there's a pretty good size pack in there from all the fresh tracks I saw. South of Cameron all the way Up Johnny Gulch Rd (Don't turn up Johnny Ridge) park at the gate and walk the old road until you see an old burn up on the hill side. Just below the burn is where I saw fresh tracks everyday. Good Luck!!

I live in Dillon and spend a lot of time out and about. I see 1-3 a yr. They can be anywhere on any given day but later they congregate near the wintering elk herds. Glassing the edges of the herds works. They come into predator calls on occasion also..A fair number of people chasing them around here in the winter

Last edited:
I lived in Dillon for 5 years, shoot me a PM and I can give you some places and people to call. I worked on some of the ranches down there.

That would be great. Also, I apologize for replying so late the forum left my mind for a while. west between sawtooth mountain and moonshine gulch is were I ran into 2 different sets and one big print following some doe tracks. also up cotton wood creek on the black tail side. but any help will be much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back