Failure is Just a Dress Rehearsal for Success

I'm still reading..... don't give up yet.

Me too, across the pond, great story and those last photo's speak a thousand words, some of the best i have seen, really capture the emotion of a hard fought hunt, nice one Gerald.

Cheers

Richard

The walk over to her bull was filled with emotion and gratefulness. I was so proud of her for hanging tough and being able to exceed her expectations of what she thought she could physically achieve. She has sacrificed so much to make our family successful and always been supportive of my love of the outdoors even when it meant extra work and stress for herself. Now she had successfully filled a tag that is almost certainly a once in a lifetime hunt for her and done exactly the way we hoped our hunt would pan out.

Walking up to the bull we quickly realized it wasn't the same bull we had stalked two days before. That bull was definitely bigger, but she killed the second biggest bull we had seen. In four days of hunting we had seen 17 different moose with seven of those being bulls. She didn't want to shoot a bull off the road and she had definitely earned this bull. He would tape out to be 31" wide and won't score even an honorable mention in any record books except for the G & I Martin club. He's a world record in that hunting club and we couldn't be happier with the outcome of the hunt.

I got the moose broken down and the meat hanged in a tree by shortly after midnight. We messaged the outfitter and made arrangements for him to bring the meat out the following day. We made it back to the truck @ 1:45 and back to the cabin @ 4:15 a.m. Our day had started nearly 24 hours before and Irene had hiked over 8 miles. I think she gained a new amount of confidence in her ability after this day.

I'll add a few more details as time allows, but I'd like to thank everyone who offered advice or was willing to help out with packing. We really appreciate it! I hope all of you can have an opportunity to experience a hunt like this in your lifetime.

Attachments

• IMG_9825.jpg
    IMG_9825.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG_9810.jpg
    IMG_9810.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_9833.jpg
    IMG_9833.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_9826.jpg
    IMG_9826.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_9822.jpg
    IMG_9822.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 827
  • IMG_9835.jpg
    IMG_9835.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_9848.jpg
    IMG_9848.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_9854.jpg
    IMG_9854.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
Many, many congrats to you both, great story and result, that meat should last your family for a while!
Good luck in the breaks.
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for showing and telling the story as it should've been told Gerald. As mentioned, the apres shot pics are indeed priceless.

...dang'it, got something in my eye

Chapter one of the Martin 2017 hunting saga is fabulously in the books. Big congratulations to the both of you on your moose adventure.

Anticipating chapters two and three in grand style shortly.

The Martin ladies are off to a good start. Hopefully Olivia can keep it going......and Dad can keep the gentlemen in contention too. Great story thanks for sharing. Congratulations.

That was just too cool. Thank you for telling that story. Congratulations to your wife and to you for making that hunt something to remember for a lifetime.

That's one of the best write-ups I've ever seen on here. No doubt memories that will last forever. Congratulations to your wife and well done to both of you. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats Gerald! Very nice write-up. Good luck in the breaks to you and your daughter!

Congratulations to you and your wife! Excellent story and thank you for sharing it with us!

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like an awesome time spent in the woods with your wife!

Congratulations to you both.

Way to go Irene and Gerald! Great write-up and pictures.

Moose are incredible animals, especially after you see them up close on the ground. I liked the picture of Irene with the tears welling up in her eyes after the shot. That speaks volumes. Hard work, persistence, and gratification all in one picture.

You will love the meat .... it is excellent. You can expect about 300 lbs worth.

Congratulations! You tell a story like no one else Gerald! I recommend smoked moose prime rib for Christmas dinner!

Back