Thoughts about 7mm-08 140 grain NAB on elk

No experience but I am currently working up a load for it. I wouldn't hesitate, that will be plenty for an elk.

Absolutely. Load some up and go elk hunting. The 7mm-08 is a great little cartridge and the 140 gr. Accubond in it will prove very deadly! I have full confidence is your combination.

I think the general consensus on this site is that there is no way that caliber and bullet combo can kill an elk. :rolleyes:

Ask BuzzH. He might agree with me. Then again, he might not...

Go for it. I currently have the 7mm-08 bug and would really like to get one before next season. I love my 7mm mag, but don't necessarily need all the recoil and noise all the time.

I'd use it!!

Shucks there is a video on Youtube of a girl droping elk in it's tracks from 600+ yards using a 243 Win.
Personally i wouldn't recommend it.

Spouse uses 7mm-08. Great caliber for elk and deer. Shes knocked down 3 elk inside 400yards. All 140g Accubonds.... go for it.

I would use that combo on any North American game with the exception of Brown Bear.

My thought's have changed a bit over the years. Where at in the past I used 757's and always thought the 139/140 gr bullet was it for the 7x57, I got a Ruger in it when it first came out, rifle wouldn't shoot anything other than pattern's! Then in frustration I tried a 154gr RN bullet and the thing turned into a super star. If the 139/149 class of bullet's in 7mm is fine for the smaller cartridge's, I wouldn't know! But I do know that everything fired at with that load just fell right over! Long range load, not so much but but back then 300yds was considered long range and truth be know I have only once in my life took a shot that far!

I think that in todays world, every body is expecting to get that once in a lifetime shot at some huge animal at 500yds so they develop a load just for that. The only time weight retention seem's to matter is at long range. But at normal range, say around 200yds, it simply doesn't matter much.

Back