Olympic Forest goats: What is the current status of the debacle?

I have been following this since I learned of it while researching Rosies. I wonder why they could not be trapped and transplanted to other habitat, if that would require the same legislation as the hunting would. With numbers declining in the Rockies, I would like to see some way to salvage this population.

Not sure how this is a horrible mess created by the NPS? The goats were brought to the area by a group of hunters, not the Park Service. I have spent time in the park and the goats are becoming a nuisance in some areas. The majority of the goats that will be removed will be transplanted to the Cascades where they can be hunted. Lots of errors in that blog post you linked. Goats will not just wander back into the park. The author also is off quite a bit on costs. His suggestion to eliminate national parks might just be a little far fetched. Even the proponents of PLT know better than to propose that.

Here is an article I read the other day that has a few more facts.
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jacks...cle_11699c49-eb1e-5e29-b6e2-5168a91a161e.html

I do know a bit about the process.
DSC00168.jpg

Great read and very interesting. It's NOT often that we try to get animals out of parks.

How do I get a job as a "mugger" :)

good luck to all
the dog

Not sure how this is a horrible mess created by the NPS? The goats were brought to the area by a group of hunters, not the Park Service. I have spent time in the park and the goats are becoming a nuisance in some areas. The majority of the goats that will be removed will be transplanted to the Cascades where they can be hunted. Lots of errors in that blog post you linked. Goats will not just wander back into the park. The author also is off quite a bit on costs. His suggestion to eliminate national parks might just be a little far fetched. Even the proponents of PLT know better than to propose that.

I've read many of the posts from Mr. Matthews and I'd say it's par for the course from him. I think deep down he gets that Federal Land is the best option in California, but he sure loves to rail against it.

Having met him a few times I'm not sure he is against public lands, despite his suggestion in that article. I think the public money waste is more to the point. Why pay all that money, when you could generate revenue and continue a resource.

Here is an article I read the other day that has a few more facts.
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jacks...cle_11699c49-eb1e-5e29-b6e2-5168a91a161e.html

I do know a bit about the process.
]

I'm refering to the horrible finanical costs this is generating. I would like to see a real cost breakdown per animal of the relocation or elemination. Helicopter fuel, your salary and all the other costs of relocation are not insignificant. Paying to exterminate the entire herd is just a waste of finanical and biological resources.

Regardless of who introduced them, the solution IMO is State based managment. That solution is a revenu + option. Limited resource reduction will continue the resource for continued visitor viewing and enjoyment without all the cost and comotion of relocation. The hunting is just a bonus imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back