Vaquita on the brink

Matt R

While not a game species, I know many on this forum would be interested to know that there is a porpoise called the vaquita endemic to the northern Gulf of California that's down to an estimated population of only 30 individuals left on planet Earth. This cetacean was only discovered in the late 1950's and its demise has been mainly linked to the use of gill nets in its range, despite a ban on their use implemented by the Mexican government, to illegally catch yet another endangered fish called the Totoaba that, like the pronghorn, is the only species in its genus. Chinese medicine apparently places high regard on the Totoaba's bladder which fetches $10K/lb. on the black market (I can't help but think of the demand Chinese medicine has placed on rhino horns).

I had only heard of this species last year when the population was estimated to be around 70 and now it's been essentially halved. Efforts to capture the remaining vaquitas are going to be initiated on October 12th with the plan being to protect the remaining mammals in a sea pen of sorts that will hopefully facilitate a successful subsequent captive breeding effort.

I'm not sure what can be done additionally for the vaquita by the world's best conservationists, hunters, but just simply spreading the word about this species plight can be immensely powerful.

Throughout history species have gone extinct, however, it is pretty sad when our actions cause the demise of certain species. As Aldo Leopold said, each species plays a part in the ecosystem and you don't want to just go throwing those parts away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back