Federal Lands Mining in MN

Just an Fyi, for any one from MN out there Representative Tom Emmer introduced this Bill recently

"H.R.3905 - To require congressional approval of any mineral withdrawal or monument designation involving the National Forest System lands in the State of Minnesota, to provide for the renewal of certain mineral leases in such lands, and for other purposes."

This bill will strip away the environmental review process and let congress make uniformed decisions. Please reach out to your representatives and tell them to not support this bill.

Is this an attempt to make it easier to push through the proposed mine by the Boundary Waters? Pretty sad that we have people in our society that are so willing to sacrifice such a special place for a quick buck

Having spent a part of my youth in the BWCA, if this is what it smells like, this news is pure shit. Unfortunately, all too common currently. Hope MN folks band together against this.

Last edited:
That was my first assumption as well, it has been talked about a lot lately in my area. My buddy is so certain that they won't get approved to mine that area. I am still skeptical though

Meant to quote the boundary waters comment, didn't work out on my tablet apprently.

Last edited:
Update: This bill passed the House Natural Resources Committee (17-13). It is now going for a vote by the full U.S. House of Representatives. Another scary finding of this bill is it will eliminate the President’s authority to establish new national monuments in Minnesota. I know a lot of you don't live in MN but your house representatives can help to vote no for this bill. Please tell them to vote against H.R. 3905.

https://www.house.gov/contact/

Here is the link to help you contact your rep. Tell them to vote no. This bill is one amendment to away from being applied nationally and that amendment could be made on the house floor. Call your rep, express your concern, and tell them to vote no on H.R. 3905. 20 years of jobs are not worth the permanent damage that will be done. No sulpher-ore copper mine has been opened without poisoning the surrounding landscape.

More info here at Sportsmen for the Boundary Waters:
https://www.sportsmenfortheboundarywaters.org/

I left Rep. Lewis a message. He preaches less federal control, but I get this sneaking feeling that in this case he'll support complete congressional control on MN's public lands. We here in Minnesota would sure appreciate any help we can get. Killing this bill won't mean an end to all mining in northern Minnesota, just more scrutiny on the environmental impacts of it.

Update - The House passed the this bill with a vote of 216-204. Its now onto the senate. Please contact your senators and tell them to not support this bill. It would exempt Minnesota from the Antiquities Act, NEPA, FLPMA, and two other laws relating to federal mining authority. I understand this is only affecting Minnesota directly but if this bill passes and one state can be removed from those laws then there is nothing stopping other states from doing the same.

For more information: https://www.sportsmenfortheboundary...es/attachments/17.11.30_release_emmerbill.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back