MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2017 Backpack Deer

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Congratulations on a great looking buck! As massive as that bison skull is, your deer still looks big. Thanks for sharing the report and photos.

The deer is incredible, but I think I might be more excited about that bison skull. That's fantastic. Did you pack it out?
It was in a patch of fir with a few vertebrae at over 10,000'. It's the second bison skull I've found in deer country, but in much better shape and larger than the first.
I was one tripping the deer and camp so I just didn't have the horsepower to add the bison. I was bummed to leave it but another 14 mi round trip to get it wasn't very appealing at the time. Next summer I imagine I can get back up there.

I can see why that's your favorite kind of hunt, congrats! The bison skull is pretty sweet; I wouldn't ever expect to find one that high up!

Good deal and a surprise. If/when I get done (for a bit) of getting gear for the boys, a restocked Tikka or a Fieldcraft are high on my list.
Yes the Fieldcraft has a lot going for it. Wouldn't mind trying one myself, though I'm not sure I want to sell the rifle I'd need to to finance it. Something to ponder over winter.

Yes the Fieldcraft has a lot going for it. Wouldn't mind trying one myself, though I'm not sure I want to sell the rifle I'd need to to finance it. Something to ponder over winter.
I have the benefit of being too broke, so I get the dream instead of ponder... ;) That said, the velocities folks are getting with 150s out of a 270/R26 combo makes me think either the Barrett or Tikka in that chambering could cover a lot of basis. I could add a big honking scope and still be much lighter than what I carry now.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back