Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2017 Backpack Deer

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Just curious...how much weight do you think you were carrying on the pack out between gear and game?
Meat and antlers were 69, the rest was 47 for a total of 116. I've been trying to weigh most deer and elk loads for the last few years for reference and planning purposes.

"One is a shade under 26", one a shade over."

That's a Dream Buck for sure!

I'm not sure if it's OK here to ask what the buck has scored but i'd be curious to know. I'm thinking gross in the low 200's and netting just below 190? Monster!

"One is a shade under 26", one a shade over."

That's a Dream Buck for sure!

I'm not sure if it's OK here to ask what the buck has scored but i'd be curious to know. I'm thinking gross in the low 200's and netting just below 190? Monster!
I measured it in a hurry once and carefully once, I feel comfortable saying low-mid 190s gross, low-mid 180s net. I don't mind sharing official score when it's dry.

I measured it in a hurry once and carefully once, I feel comfortable saying low-mid 190s gross, low-mid 180s net. I don't mind sharing official score when it's dry.

I wasn't too far off, lol, Thank You! Mostly been a Blacktail deer hunter but i've a nice bunch of decent Muleys taken thru the years too. Never have even seen a live buck, in season with tag in hand, like yours taken and shared with us. Congrats just doesn't do him or your thread here justice!!

Very nice. Question, I am assuming you boned the meat so you can get it all? I am curious about backpack hunts and 14 miles is quite the trek. Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Yes, in the last picture you can see a dry bag full of meat between the frame and bag. Other than antelope I bone out essentially every big game animal I kill regardless of how deep in it is, given that it's got to be done on the way to the freezer anyway.

Congrats! What size tarp is that (way back on page 1)? I was hunting high in the Cascades last week and the vestibule on my Copper Spur 1-man gave way under the weight of 6 inches of wet snow/sleet resulting in 2 frozen solid boots full of the same snow/sleet. I really need a mid-size tarp.

Congrats! What size tarp is that (way back on page 1)? I was hunting high in the Cascades last week and the vestibule on my Copper Spur 1-man gave way under the weight of 6 inches of wet snow/sleet resulting in 2 frozen solid boots full of the same snow/sleet. I really need a mid-size tarp.
It's a Hilleberg Tarp 5. You can do similar for cheaper, but the cut is just perfect in my opinion and makes a big difference for an easy pitch.

Meat and antlers were 69, the rest was 47 for a total of 116. I've been trying to weigh most deer and elk loads for the last few years for reference and planning purposes.

That makes a lot of sense...it'd be good info to have for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back