Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

Congrats on a great buck! Enjoy seeing the photos!

Wow man I love reading your threads that looks like an absolutely killer experience and fantastic rack as a keepsake.

Congrats!
    Don't you ever wonder why
    In spite of all that's wrong here
    There's still so much that goes so right
    And beauty abounds?

The thunder rolls and the baby sighs
    And the rain comes down
    Don't you wanta thank someone for this?
    -Andrew Peterson

Great looking buck! If I can find one half that size in a few weeks I'll be happy. The buffalo skull is a great find and really adds to the story of the hunt.

4. Default

Just curious...how much weight do you think you were carrying on the pack out between gear and game?

Quote Originally Posted by reefmt View Post
    Just curious...how much weight do you think you were carrying on the pack out between gear and game?
    Meat and antlers were 69, the rest was 47 for a total of 116. I've been trying to weigh most deer and elk loads for the last few years for reference and planning purposes.

Great deer and story!
    You produce some great animals every year and that says something!
    Forgive typing errors I'm either on an iPad or iPhone

What a beauty! Great job!

That is the real deal right there! Awesome hunt - Congrats.

9. Default

"One is a shade under 26", one a shade over."

That's a Dream Buck for sure!

I'm not sure if it's OK here to ask what the buck has scored but i'd be curious to know. I'm thinking gross in the low 200's and netting just below 190? Monster!

Wow, that as an awesome buck, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by uncle sage View Post
    "One is a shade under 26", one a shade over."

That's a Dream Buck for sure!

I'm not sure if it's OK here to ask what the buck has scored but i'd be curious to know. I'm thinking gross in the low 200's and netting just below 190? Monster!
    I measured it in a hurry once and carefully once, I feel comfortable saying low-mid 190s gross, low-mid 180s net. I don't mind sharing official score when it's dry.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer View Post
    I measured it in a hurry once and carefully once, I feel comfortable saying low-mid 190s gross, low-mid 180s net. I don't mind sharing official score when it's dry.
    I wasn't too far off, lol, Thank You! Mostly been a Blacktail deer hunter but i've a nice bunch of decent Muleys taken thru the years too. Never have even seen a live buck, in season with tag in hand, like yours taken and shared with us. Congrats just doesn't do him or your thread here justice!!

Very nice. Question, I am assuming you boned the meat so you can get it all? I am curious about backpack hunts and 14 miles is quite the trek. Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Yes, in the last picture you can see a dry bag full of meat between the frame and bag. Other than antelope I bone out essentially every big game animal I kill regardless of how deep in it is, given that it's got to be done on the way to the freezer anyway.

Congrats! What size tarp is that (way back on page 1)? I was hunting high in the Cascades last week and the vestibule on my Copper Spur 1-man gave way under the weight of 6 inches of wet snow/sleet resulting in 2 frozen solid boots full of the same snow/sleet. I really need a mid-size tarp.

Thank you for answering my question. Appreciate it!

What a great hunt! Thanks for sharing.
    Teams-LLTB

Hard Works Pays Off.

New to DIY Public Hunting but I've been hunting for 30+ years back east. HELP! I am in the beginning stages of planning a whitetail/elk hunt in Idaho next season.

Any information your willing to share, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim/Wa View Post
    Congrats! What size tarp is that (way back on page 1)? I was hunting high in the Cascades last week and the vestibule on my Copper Spur 1-man gave way under the weight of 6 inches of wet snow/sleet resulting in 2 frozen solid boots full of the same snow/sleet. I really need a mid-size tarp.
    It's a Hilleberg Tarp 5. You can do similar for cheaper, but the cut is just perfect in my opinion and makes a big difference for an easy pitch.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer View Post
    Meat and antlers were 69, the rest was 47 for a total of 116. I've been trying to weigh most deer and elk loads for the last few years for reference and planning purposes.
    That makes a lot of sense...it'd be good info to have for sure!

20. Default

That is a stud. Congrats

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234