Silencers

Jasher

This may have already been a topic but I'm just trying to figure out why the NRA is pushing to make it easier to obtain silencers?

I don’t think hearing loss is why the NRA pushes for more access to suppressors. Hearing loss would be the only reason I would ever get one but even then, they’re too awkward for my tastes. I could also get rid of my muzzle brake if I was worried about hearing loss.

I have to take hearing test every 2 years and over the last 13 there is a marked difference in the right ear verses the left. This is a common problem for older military guys, it basically comes down to the amount of shooting we have done where hearing protection was not part of the training or combat operations. Currently there is a push thru Medical community to get this tool out there to help prevent unnecessary damage. I would have one on my rifle in a heartbeat if it was more feasible.

http://www.guns.com/2017/03/29/pro-gun-physician-group-releases-paper-supporting-suppressor-use/

I would think earplugs would be cheaper and easier since they would work for all guns.

why not? there is no reason for them to be on the NFA, would you like everyone to drive cars with out mufflers? It does not make them silence, it makes an AR about as loud as a jackhammer. (its still over 120db)

these lawmakers need to quit watching movies and thinking that is the way things are.

I don’t think hearing loss is why the NRA pushes for more access to suppressors. Hearing loss would be the only reason I would ever get one but even then, they’re too awkward for my tastes. I could also get rid of my muzzle brake if I was worried about hearing loss.

Agreed. I've said it before, I could never hang one of them on any of my firearms. mtmuley

I would think earplugs would be cheaper and easier since they would work for all guns.

I would be running both. I currently have to run the foam in ear ones and good ear muff style for double hearing protection. I don't particularly care for the ear muff type as I find them a distraction when I am getting set in the prone position. I tend to hit the stock with them or cant get my head consistently comfortable which takes my concentration away when I am trying to do a tight group/distance. So given the option of a suppressor and just good in ear plugs, I am on board.

I definitely agree with the ear muff style is a pain. I pinched my cheek between it and the stock one day.

Why shouldn't they be easier to obtain? Spending time at the range would be a lot more enjoyable if there were more civilized shooters out there. The $200 stamp doesn't bother me as much as the wait time. I'd be perfectly content with a $200 stamp and a NICS background check

mtmuley when are you going to swing through Lewistown so I can try to turn you into to a suppressor guy :)

I bet the folks that live in the Rehberg Ranch Estates wish that they were required at the Billings Rod and gun club

Why shouldn't they be easier to obtain? Spending time at the range would be a lot more enjoyable if there were more civilized shooters out there. The $200 stamp doesn't bother me as much as the wait time. I'd be perfectly content with a $200 stamp and a NICS background check

mtmuley when are you going to swing through Lewistown so I can try to turn you into to a suppressor guy :)

Some day I'm gonna get that way again. You're invite is in my memory bank. Maybe bring a shotgun too? mtmuley

This may have already been a topic but I'm just trying to figure out why the NRA is pushing to make it easier to obtain silencers?

They are pushing an easier process because waiting 11+ months and spending $200 on a tax stamp for each suppressor is insane. A suppressor is nothing more than a tube with baffles in it. It is the very same technology that is used in automobile mufflers. If a NICS check is sufficient to purchase a firearm, why is it not sufficient for the purchase of a suppressor?

To be clear, I could care less either way if they become easier to acquire. If they do I will probably buy one.

The hearing protection argument just seems stupid to me. Just say they are over regulated, and we are eliminating some unnecessary beaurocracy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back