Caribou Gear Tarp

Tom Petty RIP

He brought a lot of great music to the front. As we, or most of us know, music has a significant effect on people. His music most often held a quality of lyrics that, for myself, brought a smile and - as right now thinking upon his legacy, my head nods to the tune, "And I won't back down..."

An amazing musician!

Well well well...it seems he died of a drug overdose...fentanyl and oxycodone....

You just beware, John, and make sure nobody has cause to throw the same kind of shade at yourself, post surgery. I don't expect they'll be prescribing kisses for those booboos.

Somewhere a medical team is shaking their heads.

Supposedly did 50 shows on a bum knee & shot hip...according to family. I'm thinking performing was his most dangerous drug. Pharma loves to sell opioids...66 going on 90.

I still love him and his music...RIP

I hope everyone, including Cushman, read the entire link in post #40 because these prescription drugs are frightening when used improperly.

The VA gives narcotics out like candy. For 10 years I was bounced back and forth between Vicodin and Percocet every 6 months. I had enough of it. I finally demanded to be put on Tramadol and it actually helps me more than what the narcs ever did. I know all too well about pain since coming home from Iraq, but there hasn't been an amount of pain that would make me feel the need to overdose on pills or mix pills and patches and anything else. There's a little thing that it seems a lot of people lack called common sense. I would never begrudge anyone for taking pain pills when needed, but there is a certain responsibility that comes along with that script.

What I don't understand is why famous people are always given a free pass when they do something stupid. An overdose is an overdose, whether you've made millions of records and dollars, or are a chick in an alley sucking D for $2 meth rocks. Somehow the girl is scoffed at as another junkie, but the celebrity is some sort of troubled soul that people will make excuses for and put on a pedestal. Why is that? Dead is still dead, and a life is still a life and a soul is still a soul. Why is one person's life and legacy worth more than another's?

Yes, it sucks that Tom died. I know pain all too well, and can empathize to a point. I do blame doctors for being more than willing to prescribe narcotics and feel they should be held somehow accountable in overdose deaths. But, what I can't see is how he 'accidentally' overdoses. You know when you put a patch on and you know when you pop pills. You have to take a pretty damned good amount to start overall organ shut down. When my vodka and energy drink cocktails finally kill me, don't feel sorry for me. I know it's stupid and I know I shouldn't do it and I do it anyway. I won't look for sympathy or sadness for something stupid I did. :cool:

Hey NorthStar...that was a cute attempt at quazi sarcastic dinging humor towards me. Keep trying, sweetheart, you're still not there yet :hump:

Last edited:
Cushman.

Nailed it.

I am a pharmacist, and I cringe at some of the scripts we get it.

Self control, self control. Do not sneak up your dose.

And John, you would not imagine normal America doing the same. It is an epidemic. We have to run drug profile on many narcotics. It prevents early fills, but, If you combine with illegal drugs, your are dead! I have seen too many.

I have a few patients who are legit. Many are not. I do not want to be the judge. Probably the most distasteful task in my job. But, I try to do it well and prevent abuse!

Hey NorthStar...that was a cute attempt at quazi sarcastic dinging humor towards me. Keep trying, sweetheart, you're still not there yet :hump:

You mistake my intentions, sir. Everything I've seen here about you makes me think you're a good guy and I wasn't trying to dig at you, only try and get you to pay attention to this as a cautionary tale instead of taking the 'holier than thou' attitude you've seemed to. But you've clearly got your head screwed on tight already about narcotics. Which only makes me scratch my head at the seemingly demonization of Tom Petty. It could happen to anybody.

Forgive me, if my initial assumption was incorrect.

Last edited:
Supposedly did 50 shows on a bum knee & shot hip...according to family. I'm thinking performing was his most dangerous drug. Pharma loves to sell opioids...66 going on 90.

I still love him and his music...RIP

Treating pain is a very complicated issue. It is not a big pharmacy conspiracy.

Pain is bad for healing, and the mental health of those afflicted. Unfortunately, mistakes happen.

The foo fighters played breakdown when I saw them in a billings as a tribute. They did a great job paying homage.

Doctor or drug rep?

Nursing student. Ex-wife has been a nurse for a very long time. Aunt's are nurses.

If someone says they are in pain the appropriate thing to do is believe them. Obviously, people are abusing that, but much of the current situation arose because for decades narcotics were under prescribed for many people.

One of my friends and high school classmates committed suicide in a McDonalds parking lot after they dramatically lowered his pain medications. Called a mutual friend, crying and going on about how there was no way he could live like this. On the job back injury. Next thing we knew he was gone.

The point I am making is that it is a complex issue, and not as simple as pharmaceutical profits.

. Why is that? Dead is still dead, and a life is still a life and a soul is still a soul. Why is one person's life and legacy worth more than another's?

It has to do with what some people bring into the world and what others don't John. Tom Petty made the world a much better place for millions of people. In doing so he placed a huge amount of pressure on himself to create some of the greatest music ever made! I feel selfish as a fan that I always expected him to keep making exceptional music for 40 years. Almost nobody else who has lived has been able to do that. I wish he had cancelled the tail end of the final tour and done the right thing but it wasn't in his makeup to do that. If it was he wouldn't have left the legacy that he did. He faced some huge challenges thru out his life and he always fought to keep making music and pushing forward instead of whining about how life was hard and giving up like so many do.

If you have ever listened to Tom talk about his life you would know he owned his mistakes and never claimed to be perfect. The only reason he hid the fact that he was addicted to heroin in the 90's was because he didn't want the kids to mistake his mistake as something cool. He was a great man and most of us respect him for it.

The problem I see with some of the responses here is that people assume an overdose occurred by taking more than what is prescribed when quiet often people are desperate for pain relief and are following Drs orders. Fentanyl is very dangerous due to its potency.
Consider that a small dose is a 25 microgram patch! Let's say a patient is proscribed 25mcg but it isn't enough so they are given a pill for "breakthrough" pain or flair ups. Then it is determined that more fentanyl is needed so the Dr prescribes the next step up (50 microgram) so the patient went from 0.025 of a milligram to 0.050 of a milligram.
The patient puts on his new patch and goes to sleep. He feels better but it takes a few hours for the full dose to be absorbed and by morning he has stopped breathing.
The problem is that it has the ability to suppress the respiratory system in very small doses.
That is a scary drug even when used as directed.
I say all of that to say this.
Everyone knows Tom had a opioid issue in the 90s and it's very possible he was abusing opioids or at the least very so tolerate of them that he had to have very high doses to kill the pain from that broken hip.
I'll reserve judgement because I'll likely never be properly informed on the details.
R.i.p Tom

It has to do with what some people bring into the world and what others don't John. Tom Petty made the world a much better place for millions of people. In doing so he placed a huge amount of pressure on himself to create some of the greatest music ever made! I feel selfish as a fan that I always expected him to keep making exceptional music for 40 years. Almost nobody else who has lived has been able to do that. I wish he had cancelled the tail end of the final tour and done the right thing but it wasn't in his makeup to do that. If it was he wouldn't have left the legacy that he did. He faced some huge challenges thru out his life and he always fought to keep making music and pushing forward instead of whining about how life was hard and giving up like so many do.

If you have ever listened to Tom talk about his life you would know he owned his mistakes and never claimed to be perfect. The only reason he hid the fact that he was addicted to heroin in the 90's was because he didn't want the kids to mistake his mistake as something cool. He was a great man and most of us respect him for it.

Well put, Joe H.
Comparing Tom Petty to a "D sucking meth head" was possibly the dumbest thing I've read on this forum.

The world would be a better place with more empathy and less judgement. Some of the posts on this thread are pretty sad.

Well put, Joe H.
Comparing Tom Petty to a "D sucking meth head" was possibly the dumbest thing I've read on this forum.

Luckily I'm not all that worried about you or your opinion:cool: I have the courage of my convictions to stand by my opinion. If you had actually read the post you're referring to, then you would realize that I wasn't comparing Tom to a 'D sucking meth head'. I was simply mentioning the 2 situations and asking why one person's life was more valuable than another's. But, if you don't have basic reading comprehension and critical analysis skills that were taught in grade school, then perhaps you should reconsider what is 'dumb'. What makes me sad is how I can see people giving him a pass simply because he made records and somehow changed the world in their opinions. So, if I was rich and famous and sold some records, then when a monster and vodka finally kills me, then the world can mourn my passing even though I did something stupid? That seems shallow to me. Society has become ass backwards in it's prioritizing of what's important to the world. Simply because someone is famous they get a pass for doing dumb shit. Really? What's wrong with the rest of us simple folk that noone cares about what we do until it's something negative?

Luckily I'm not all that worried about you or your opinion:cool: I have the courage of my convictions to stand by my opinion. If you had actually read the post you're referring to, then you would realize that I wasn't comparing Tom to a 'D sucking meth head'. I was simply mentioning the 2 situations and asking why one person's life was more valuable than another's. But, if you don't have basic reading comprehension and critical analysis skills that were taught in grade school, then perhaps you should reconsider what is 'dumb'. What makes me sad is how I can see people giving him a pass simply because he made records and somehow changed the world in their opinions. So, if I was rich and famous and sold some records, then when a monster and vodka finally kills me, then the world can mourn my passing even though I did something stupid? That seems shallow to me. Society has become ass backwards in it's prioritizing of what's important to the world. Simply because someone is famous they get a pass for doing dumb shit. Really? What's wrong with the rest of us simple folk that noone cares about what we do until it's something negative?

Really don't give two craps about these non - "Hunttalk is a forum for on your own hunters. Hunters who prefer to hunt without guides, on public lands." topics.
But I'm right there with ya, John, on the attention payed to people with a face recognizable to the masses.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back