Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Grim Reaper razortip's performance.

MTGomer

I'm hesitant to start this thread as it can definitely be used as ammo against hunting or bow hunting but I think the info is important.

I have shot fixed blades my entire life, and have achieved complete pass through on large bull elk up to 56 yards. I have hit a bull straight in the shoulder plates and still passed through at 45 yards.
This year I was told about how well grim reapers have worked for a few people. I was going on a sheep hunt up north where longer windy shots may be possible. I decided to try these expandables. I ultimately ended up taking my ram with a rifle.
A few weeks ago I shot an antelope with them. 4 times, 5 if you count the one that grazed off the top of his back. Not a single head opened. I put him down with two final shots under 15 yards, achieving about 8" of penetration. It was like shooting a target with a field tip.
It was pretty sad to watch. It's a good thing it wasn't an elk or I'd have lost him.
IMG_3116.jpg
This is a picture of the best performer. I have thrown all the ones I own away.

I was shooting a Mathews Halon 32 with 28.5" draw at 70 lbs.

Last edited:
Dang that sucks. I would have expected near pass-throughs on antelope. Glad you managed to finish the job.

Will you be on the search for new fixed blades or will you be returning to the ones you used previously?

I called in a bull for a buddy two years ago that shot that exact same broadhead. He hammered that elk at less than 30 yards and the arrow didn't penetrate at all. The bull walked away and we recovered the arrow the next day while looking for the elk. The head failed. I will never shoot a grim reaper.

I found one this exact same way in a dead head whitetail. Bummer.

Your experiences notwithstanding, the blades close when the arrow comes to a stop. You can't examine an arrow you shot to determine whether it opened.

But you can look at the wound channel And see it didn't open. Combined with the fact they didn't penetrate.
Should be blowing through an antelope especially at point blank.
I believe they close if the arrow comes to a stop outside the animal but I'm not sure how they'd close buried in tissue.

The one I skimmed off the top of his back when I was trying to get another arrow in him after the first shot would have spined him and dropped him in his tracks with wac ems.

The broadheads seem closed in buried tissue after you pull it out. They won't stay open as you pull it.
The only way to tell is the wound, which you have verified as problematic. Thus, your broadheads failed.

I've had good experiences with them. They slice bone like butter, and perform great for me. I wonder what's going on with yours.

Last edited:
I've killed a lot of deer with the razorcut grim reaper. And I have never had any issues. I will say you should always check expandables when you install them on an arrow. Check them to make sure they open and not in a bind. I have seen this happen with mine and it's always my fault because the ferrel at the bottom of the head would not allow the blade to open freely.

Good point, nturpin. Your comment made me look at the pic above. It looks like there's a sleeve at the base of the broadhead that shouldn't be there. This is what it should look like when closed:
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
The new ones must look a little different. This is it, detached from the arrow.
There are grooves in that band thing to allow the blades to open.

IMG_3238.jpg

lost a book lope to that same broadhead. Complete pass thru that looked perfect. Thing ran diagonally across a 1 mile state section before crossing a fence and going in to some trees. Two days of looking and we never found him. Pretty sure the landowner went and recovered it that night. Only animal I ever lost. Still get sick thinking abot it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back