Caribou Gear Tarp

Ever wonder?

Yea I agree. Some perspective is needed. Thanks for the moment of clarity, now I have to go order more stuff....

Let's see.
I stopped wearing jeans in 78'. Any cotton except fatigues soon after.
Dad's wool & mil surplus stuff was an upgrade. Already had Lowa's,a Kelty backpack,Svea stove & a canteen. lol
Upgraded from the Win 30-30 open sights to a scoped 700 30-06 in the 80's.Still my only hunting rifles,with addition of a mz.
I wear merino instead of the scratchy HudsonBay longjohns now& will be trying some new Cabellas sale undies this year too.
No more mil surplus besides some Fin pants,some hats & canteens.
Still carry a poncho in the bottom of a MR or E-stock pack,but still have a frame pack along on the trip at times.
Still wear the wool shirts & sweaters my folks gave me.
I hope to break out the Woolrich coat this fall,40 + yrs new still.Got it from an uncle when I was 22.............lol & it was his old one.

Last edited:
Never said I took the photo - said "chose" it. But thanks for digging up that useless info.
Unless I misunderstand the impetus for your reply, things are a bit touchy around here.
Carry on.

I guess I don't understand it either. Guy retrieves a nice buck he killed on private ground with a ATV. Why does that make him an idiot?

CEexONU.jpg

Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana, November 29th, 1992. It was well below zero that day above 10,000 ft.

Sorel Caribou boots with silk sock liners and some heavy coarse wool socks and cheapo skier gaiters, wool underwear, Swedish milsurp pants, heavy Woolrich shirt under a down jacket (the original puffy jacket). Silk glove liners and wool gloves. Goat roper corduroy hat.

Rifle was a Smith Corona 1903A3 re-chambered to 308 Norma Magnum with a Weaver K6 duplex in Weaver mounts and rings. Ramline tupperware stock. Handloads with 180gr. Noslers Solid Base boat tails. Pack was welded aluminum frame with nylon bag tied on with cord to replace the original canvas. Plastic milsurp canteen in insulated carrier so it wouldn't freeze (so quickly). No spotting scope or range finder.

Not a speck of camo anywhere.

It seems like yesterday but I don't remember being cold or under-equipt. Left the trailhead in the dark and returned in the dark, perfect hunt.

Ahh, the good old days. That 30 year old body made up for the lack of high tech gear. ;)

Cool picture, KClark! I was 12 in 1992.
I like the good ol days and I like the good nowadays too.

Here's a picture of my first deer in either '90 or '91. The only camo that I had was the cap I was wearing and a army surplus woodland camo jacket that I bet a lot of you guys had as well. That old Winchester .243 was a nice gun. I wish my dad had not sold it and I could pass it down to my boy. Maybe its nostalgia, but I love seeing old tailgate pics. We didn't know any better.

Attachments

• 1st deer2.jpg
    1st deer2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 217
That's about the way I started except for an iron sights 30-30 southern elk. This thread brings back good memories my grandpa hat quilted thermals and the big reds as he called them orange coveralls and the vinyl hat with quilted ear flaps. I have his 30-30 and the big reds and hat, one of these days I'm going to wear them deer hunting at home. He even wore the big reds antelope hunting in Wyoming.

In the "old days" in midwest, we were restricted to using smooth bore shotguns with the old Foster style rifled slugs. It was about a 40-50 yard tops proposition with most standard vent rib shotguns, but we still killed a lot of deer.
I sure don't miss the junk clothing of those days, froze my rear end off sitting in a stand on many occassions. Only the guys in real northern deer country; Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maine, etc. had the cool plaid woolies.
Oh yea ..... The tree stands were nailed up wooden death traps too ;)

All of Iowa still did, till this year when they introduced the straight wall cartridge rule. Ive heard the whistle of a rifled 12 gauge slug a few too many times than Id like to admit.

This is a great thread. It has even inspired me to break out the old marlin 30-30 a few times this fall. I did mount a VX3 on it however. I killed all my early deer in woodland BDU's. I guess we just didn't know what we were missing out on and went with what we had.

This is a great thread. It has even inspired me to break out the old marlin 30-30 a few times this fall. I did mount a VX3 on it however. I killed all my early deer in woodland BDU's. I guess we just didn't know what we were missing out on and went with what we had.

I have been thinking of using a Winchester Model 94 for a hunt of some kind. The rifle was purchased new by my Grandfather when he was 14 years old. The old girl is in damn good shape, a result of how hard he worked for it I imagine. I really need to use it, but so far, my reliance on the new stuff has won out. One of these days.... mtmuley

I can relate. My grandfather left me a Savage model 1895 in a 30-30. He only tried hunting once in his life and ran into some jerk as a hunter who ruined the experience for him. Never hunted again after that. I took this gun out about 25 years ago and it shot very well. Breaking clay pigeon targets out at 100 yds was easy. I'm not real attached to the gun and may sell it someday because of the negative story behind it for my grandfather.15072556440921028366208.jpg
It would be fun to go and shoot a deer with it some day but the deer around here typically move in the low light hours of the day and it's really hard to give up the use of a scope especially since you may only get one maybe two chances a season at a buck here in the U.P.

Last edited:
Last year I missed a coyote 10 times with my AR 15 I was so worked up, the very next time out I took my grandpas Remington Model 722 .222 and killed one first shot. Sometimes you gotta use a throwback for good luck . Feel like grandpa was looking over me that day.

My dad's lucky red hunting suspenders just made it to my sewing pile. Going to have to replace the elastic. He still uses his old military pack to carry his apple, pb&j, mtn dew, boning saw and snack size chocolate.

I also remember loading up in the morning. Kids rode in the back with blankets or sleeping bags in the crappy topper. No 4 door trucks. I remember the old 4 horse trailer and my trusty gelding. Bias ply tires that thumped till they warmed up. Lucky Lager and Rainier.(Not me, I was too young.) Opening day is looming. I can't wait. mtmuley

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back