PEAX Equipment

Ever wonder?

mtmuley

How the Hell did we ever get critters killed in the "old" days? No concern for high BC bullets, hubble scopes with dials, or clothes that cost more than my first car. I am as guilty as anyone, I love my up to date gear as I can get it. The old days of an orange sweatshirt and a pocket full of Core-Lokts are gone. mtmuley

Yeah
Remember hunting with my high tec rubber military jacket. $15
No gps
No rangefinder

Never got lost
Packed out animals with simple frame
Still use the same bullits.��

Don't think they are gone yet. We are still pretty old school in our hunting 3 x9 vx 1 scopes pack a hatchet. Still wear flannel shirts and blue jeans or wool pants and flannel shirts and wool jackets most of the time . We shoot nosler partions and rem core lokt. Biggest upgrade for us is gps units. We come from the school of get as close as can to game as possible. Still quarter our elk at third rib and pack out when have to. But am leaning into the new age Era of boneing them out. hope this makes u smile mtmuley and good hunting

I carry 3-4 thousand worth of wiz bangs every time I go out these days. But still got a long way to go before I can catch up to the death toll of my model 110 30-06 and a few boxes of 150 gr corelockers. Shots were always 300 or less and nothing ever took more than 5 steps..

I’ve thought of this a couple times in the last year or so. Carhartt pants, 3-9 Simmons, and a lot of determination.

"orange sweatshirt and a pocket full of Core-Lokt's"
Thanks mtmuley, that made me smile and think of good ol' days in the field.

Dad and I were just talking about all the junk we take out anymore. He said his old self would laugh him to scorn for carrying all these gadgets. He used a recurve with homemade arrows to harvest his deer for many years. Always close, always deadly.

"orange sweatshirt and a pocket full of Core-Lokt's"
Thanks mtmuley, that made me smile and think of good ol' days in the field.

Me and my buds used to charge off into the mountains in cotton long johns and Levis and an orange sweatshirt from Sportsman's Surplus no matter the weather. It's a miracle we didn't die. What did die is anything I pointed my 721 at. mtmuley

Old School Me: Rubber barn boots, black Levi's, red & black plaid flannel shirt, orange watch cap, a used military back pack, Buck 110, and a 44 Mag lever action topped with a 1970's 4X32 Redfield.

Modern Me: Whatever boots I can find at the moment, same black jeans, same shirt, same watch cap, same pack, same knife, but now I have a 7/08 w/ a Leupold 3.5X10. I've surcome to modern technology.

For years, even during archery season I wore woolrich malone wool pants and loved them, a woolrich red/black plaid wool shirt, most all my clothing was wool and heavy but warm even when wet. I now own the super expensive high tech gear and footwear and own range finders, gps, and most of the other gadgets out there. Maybe there is less game out there and way more hunters hunting them than years past but no doubt the equipment available today from optics, clothing, vehicles, atv's, archery equipment, trail cams, and most importantly the internet have allowed todays hunters to have all the advantages. Still doesn't guarantee success but puts the odds in our favor for sure.

I started hunting when I was a poor E-5 with two kids and couldn't afford anything more than using my Army gear and a $275 Remington 710 with some core lockts. The rifle killed everything I shot at and was accurate as the day is long (would still be using it except for a simple but expensive issue). I have upgraded some but will admit to still (and probably forever) being somewhat of a bargain shopper. I have a buddy that when he leave the tent has at least $12,000 in equipment on him (gun , clothes, boots) and I just don't get it. To each his own I guess.

I grew up hunting with grandpa, He shot a 1909? argentine mauser (7.65) with open sights, wore 1 piece Coveralls, brown chore gloves, and a pair of overshoes. He also laughed at me when I said I wanted to get a 150" whitetail mounted. he said "hell ive thrown away bigger ones than that"

I've got all the new fangled gear now.

How the Hell did we ever get critters killed in the "old" days? No concern for high BC bullets, hubble scopes with dials, or clothes that cost more than my first car. I am as guilty as anyone, I love my up to date gear as I can get it. The old days of an orange sweatshirt and a pocket full of Core-Lokts are gone. mtmuley

The same could be said for a shitter inside, running water, hvac, toilet paper, etc.

I'll keep my modern stuff. Y'all can have the outhouse.

Some things about the "good ole days" were indeed good but some not so good. In addition to the wool clothing I used to wear there was also some of the cotton undergarments I wore too and nothing about those makes me want to return to the good old days. Cotton underwear, t shirts, socks, long johns, and perhaps worst of all, the dreaded Levi's were horrendous, not bad while you were sitting in the truck but 15 minutes into a hike and holy crap what a nightmare. I don't recall if other than wool there were other better options than cotton or whether as a 20 year old I was just too stupid to realize it, but I suffered from the cold and skin rash more times than I care to remember and have no desire to return to those good ole days.

I started hunting when I was a poor E-5 with two kids...

My current situation! lol I've never bought into the fancier things in life, only reason I have a nice bow with all the bells and whistles is b/c I saved my extra cash when I was overseas. I prefer the simple take, mostly because I can't really afford to buy all those fancy pants things If I want to travel to hunt and fish other places as well as hunt and fish frequently around home. Example: I'm headed to Canada for another fly in fishing trip next spring, it's either buy a bunch of newer, heavier duty gear or just use my old crap and buy more beer for the trip. I won't go thirsty. I've also got to be the only guy there using a Zebco 33 on a fly in trip!

Last edited:
Pump Remington 30naught with a K6 Dual X Weaver. Bullets were whatever was cheapest...any grain'd do. $50 Simmons porro prisms.

...2 hunnert was a long shot.

Back